Xantia's Bouncy Castle Ride

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jshodgson
My Cars:

Xantia's Bouncy Castle Ride

Post by Jshodgson »

My 1995 Xantia TD is suffering from a ride quality that is similar to driving a bouncy castle! It has got so bad that the car will now wheel spin as I am driving over bumpy roads as the wheels do not fully feel in contact with the road surface.
It is getting uncomfortable to drive and I also worry about safety.
Please help.......
kafkaian

Post by kafkaian »

Front and/or Rear Spheres? There's loads on here about it and my struggles to DIY replace the rears. Changing the fronts are easy, the rears can bind a bit, but in essence it's an 'easy' job for the price of a couple of green metal globes and the right tool.
Just be careful when working underneath the car though (for the rears) and read all the precautions about sinking suspensions.
kafkaian

Post by kafkaian »

kafkaian

Post by kafkaian »

handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Sounds lethal and highly dangerous. Do not drive the car until the problem is solved as your ability to brake correctly is significantly diminished, it will be even worse in wet weather. You are putting shock loads onto your tyres.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

not just stuck in high or low is it?
Jshodgson
My Cars:

Post by Jshodgson »

it isn't stuck in high or low....
Jshodgson
My Cars:

Post by Jshodgson »

kafkaian are you suggesting I replace all of the sphere's? If so how many do I need, I see from the parts section that there are front rears and accumulators. How many do I need?
Do you have any idea how much it would cost to get it done at a garage?????
Thanks [:)]
lurchy666
My Cars: citroen c5 hdi 2.2 auto estate

Post by lurchy666 »

atthe local citroen garage he carges 70 pound to supply and chance the front 2 spheres and then 70 quid each for the 2 rear ones that is to suppy and fit i dunno about the accumators i didnt ask him
kafkaian

Post by kafkaian »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jshodgson</i>
kafkaian are you suggesting I replace all of the sphere's? If so how many do I need, I see from the parts section that there are front rears and accumulators. How many do I need?
Do you have any idea how much it would cost to get it done at a garage?????
Thanks [:)]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">No, I'm suggesting you find out which ones are the problem first. When I did mine last year, I changed two fronts and two rears regardless and left the anti-sink/accumulator spheres for another day. I was bouncing all over the place like you and once replaced the ride was beautiful.
You can download a gsf catalogue - click here
Currently if you go to page 27 of the French catalogue they are £18.65 + VAT, which is a bargain and will only cost you £80 (2 fronts and 2 Rears) if you do it yourself.
The rears were a pig without a tool, but in the end I managed and the job was really satisfying once completed. The fronts are a cinch and took me 5 minutes - literally.
Good luck
Ian
marpate1
My Cars:

Post by marpate1 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jshodgson</i>

My 1995 Xantia TD is suffering from a ride quality that is similar to driving a bouncy castle!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Hi,
Mine did this when the LHM level was too low. Have you checked this?
Cheers,
Mark
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

AGREED[:D]
A very satisfying job to do yourself[:D][:D]
Plus people think your very clever working on one of those immpossibly complicated Citroen things[;)]
MW
My Cars:

Post by MW »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">[Mine did this when the LHM level was too low. Have you checked this?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
The main reason the LHM level is too low is usually because the spheres have split their seals! Pretty much a conclusive test, in my experience. There's probably half a litre of fluid sloshing around inside each ruptured sphere.
Wow lurchy, two front spheres fitted for £70? What's your mechanic's phone number?
marpate1
My Cars:

Post by marpate1 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
The main reason the LHM level is too low is usually because the spheres have split their seals!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Fortunately, I know that I have a small leak at the pump which is where mine is going.
Cheers,
Mark
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

when doing front or rear spheres on an activ/activa GSF recomend you replace the front or rear centre sphere at the same time,because if you dont you could still have a hard one
(ooh la la)regards malcolm