BX Gear linkage

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pmhpmh

BX Gear linkage

Post by pmhpmh »

I have just been offered a BX 1.9 Diesel. Everythinh looks good except the gear linkage and selection is almost random. Once moving in 3rd it drives well.
The reverse interlock is floppy and does not work, trying to find first is almost impossible it is almost as tho trying to engage 2 gears at once! there is no apparent clutch drag, as you can select 3rd without too many problems BUT first definitely feels VERY graunchy.
Cluch feels heavy? BUT was apparently all renewed 10k miles ago. and disenage point feels very Low?
Is it likely to be just linkage bushes etc or 'terminal' a quick answer would be appreciated. It is not worth doing a gearbox or clutch swap only if I can run it straihgt away while the DTR is waiting Octopus.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If the clutch is heavy and disengages near the floor, I would ask to see the reciept for the new clutch! Applying some lubricant to the clutch operating shaft where it enters the gearbox bellhousing will often make it lighter but if the clutch is fairly new, you should feel it get lighter as you push the pedal down as the diaphragm goes past the centre point. If it 'crunches' on engaging 1st gear it could be either the clutch dragging or the synchro gone, your other problems sound like linkage adjustment ot wear.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Take a close look at the L shaped clutch operating arm on top of the bellhousing-if its the original it may be slowly cracking apart, which affects the clutch adjustment and gear selection.
The modified one from GSF is braced and a lot better-I think a lot of perfectly good clutches have been replaced over the years because of these, and I bet a lot of clutches have been charged for and only the arm replaced as well.......
Also make sure all the gearchange operating rods between shift lever and gearbox are connected up as they should be,I think there's a picture in Haynes of how they should look. One of the joints may have not been connected up properly by the clutch fitter and fallen off again.......
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I'm glad someone who knows what they are talking about has replied!
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

What age is this car? If reverse is down from 5th there is no interlock! If its by first then there should be a collar on the gear lever which is lifted to operate the interlock. This works by a cable. The sleeve on the gearlever is present on both, but fixed on the box with reverse down from 5th.
Many members of the motor trade take pride in never adjusting clutch cables when they change clutchs. If the clutch only breaks with the pedal on the floor then the lever may have cracked as explained or the thiung may only need adjusting. Probably you simply need to unlock the nut on the cable at the operating lever and tighten the cable a bit.
If its different - tell us which engine and gearbox you have and I'm sure someone can advise you.
Jeremy
czenda
My Cars:

Post by czenda »

If the reverse is next to one, then it sounds like what I had already experienced. It was the shortest (7.5 cm) linkage designed so "cleverly" [xx(] that it falls off completely when the plastic bush is worn.
Never happened again after the thing had been replaced.
pmhpmh

Post by pmhpmh »

Czenda
Rev is next to first.
How easy is it to replace the bush/link access looks pretty difficult! i cannot find it in the gsf parts list. Is it only a citroen part? stll avaialable?
Jeremy
1.9 Diesel 1988. Having a quick look at thge invoices I am pretty sure that when cluch was done, it showed 'replacement of operating lever' or possibly the release arm, I did not take to much notice.
Thanks for your replies.
p
czenda
My Cars:

Post by czenda »

I am not familiar with diesel engine layout (mine is petrol 1.6), but it was possible to replace the lever from above. It may be that it would have been easier from below.
I could not find any aftermarket dealer able to supply the thing and the local Cit dealer had to order it from central warehouse (1+ week). As I brought the link to the dealer for measurement, I do not know its part number.
I tied the useless lever in place with a piece of a steel wire while waiting for the new one [:D]