Internet site... info- opinions please..

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

James.UK
My Cars:

Internet site... info- opinions please..

Post by James.UK »

I had this link sent to me by a friend, but am not sure whether or not it's a good idea? hmmm.. Anyone have any info or opinions? [:)]
http://freenet.sourceforge.net/
batwad
My Cars:

Post by batwad »

Interesting. Not sure I like the idea of having no control of the files that are stored on my PC though. I certainly wouldn't want viruses or dubious videos and images on my machine. Indeed, what are the legal implications? Would I be liable for distributing copyrighted material if it's stored on my machine without my consent?
In practice, it sounds to me a lot like (and I'm going to get technical here) a distributed version of Usenet and potentially newsgroups in general. Usenet accounts for something daft like 75% of all internet traffic and has been around from the start of the internet, so it'll be interesting to see how it stands up to it.
More tellingly, perhaps, will be exactly what is available on this network. The network's two tennets seem to be "freedom" and "no censorship". What does everyone want to be free to get and available without censorship? [}:)][:p][:0][:D]
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Good points Alex, and thanks. All I know is that it was on BBC2 quite recently, apparently they were singing its praises, but I didn't see it, so can't verify that as fact.
I have emailed the friend who sent me the link asking for more info, he said he will ring me tonight. It all sounds very dubious to me..
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by batwad</i>

Indeed, what are the legal implications? Would I be liable for distributing copyrighted material if it's stored on my machine without my consent?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
The closest analogy I can think of is the situation with truck drivers unwittingly bringing illegal immigrants into the country. It doesn't matter if they know or not. I imagine the legal system would take the view that you allowed the information to be stored whether you knew what it was or not.
I know that you will have to defend yourself at your own cost.
You say it was on the BBC, what programme?
Homer
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,

Post by Homer »

Ok, I found it on the BBC website.
More info here. I wouldn't say they were raving about it though.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

My friend did phone me, but his arguments were far from convincing.
. Think the idea gets a definate 'no' vote from me.. Trojan horses come to mind.. lol..
Homer
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,

Post by Homer »

I don't think you have anything to worry about directly.
It's unlikely anyone could recover what is stored on your system, plus you probably only have part of any individual file.
The problem I see with it, as the article I linked to says, is what are people using it for?
OK, circumventing censure in places like China might be sen as a "good thing" to be involved in. Then again helping paedophiles, terrorists and other undesirables hide their activites is certainly not.
I'm not happy with the big brother society we seem to be heading toward but this is just too far the other way.