heater problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

gravelrash
My Cars:

heater problems

Post by gravelrash »

Hi, am new on here so some help would much appreciated. Have a xantia lx td estate of 96 vintage, great car but developed some faults lately. Having changed the heater matrix last yer the heater was brilliant, but lately it wont hold any temp, after a few moments of warm air all goes cold until I set more heat on the heater switch, this lasts for a few moments then cold again. have noticed as well radiator fans come on very quickly. Help winter is coming!
thanx for sny help you can give.
Ade
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Sounds as though you have an airlock, did you connect the heater hoses up the correct way round? if not, the heater will eventually fill up with air and cause the problem you have. If not, try bleeding the heater by disconnecting the return pipe with the engine running.
gravelrash
My Cars:

Post by gravelrash »

Hi Peter Thanx for your reply
Have bled the system out exhaustively, The heater hoses can only be fitted one way as they are the plastic push in type ( a real swine to fit as well!) Will have another go at bleeding this weekend.
aengus
My Cars:

Post by aengus »

when you say all goes cold - are the pipes feeding the heater matrix cold, or are they still hot? It they're hot, then could be the cabin temp sensor wherever that is on a Xant (roof console in the XM), or the flap motor that controls the hot/cold air mixing. If you set it to full heat does it stay hot (or stay hot for longer)?
gravelrash
My Cars:

Post by gravelrash »

Difficult to get to the pipes leading to the matrix, down the back of the engine so am not able to tell if both hot. Putting onto full heat only keeps it hot for a little longer.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

The top heater hose has a bleed screw to let the air out of the heater.