Xantia Matrix - Change or leak seal ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

KevMayer
My Cars:

Xantia Matrix - Change or leak seal ?

Post by KevMayer »

My matrix has a small leak.
Should I change it or, could I get a good seal using a leak sealing agent in the coolant ?
Which leak sealer should I use ?
oscarloco
My Cars:

Post by oscarloco »

I would go for the sealant. Changing the matrix is often a very complicated (ie dashboard out) job. Try using Bars stop leak. It worked great for me.
PeterMann
My Cars:

Post by PeterMann »

I had a substantial leak from the heater matrix which fixed itself twice. The way I understand what happened is that there are elastomer seals where the hoses join the matrixm, and these can be disrupted by the pressures which develop in the coolant system. Over time, the leaking seals can re-seat, provided that the source of pressure in the coolant system is addressed. In my case, this was done by changing from a water/oil coolant to a strong glycol antifreeze/antiboil mixture. I also fitted 3/4" plastic irrigation valves to the rubber lines going to the heater matrix, so that if a leak does occur in future, the leak can be stopped by closing the valves.
rg
My Cars:

Post by rg »

Forte radiator sealer has been successful with Xantia matrices, and is used by my local indy. Cracking stuff, and way ahead of other sealants.
Do a Google on "forte radiator" and read on...

rg
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Forte did the job on my Xantia matrix (which had been weeping a long time - curry smell when it got hot) which had got to the stage of water dripping from under the dash and making the carpet wet. Was still holding, with no curry whiffs, when I got rid about 15k miles later. The forte stuff is expensive mind! It recommends putting it directly into a hose, but given the difficulty with bleeding Xantias, I just bunged it in the header tank. Took about 300 miles before the matrix stopped leaking.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

sealant is ok if you dont keep useing it as it will block vital water ways if used to often,to replace matrix its about 3 day job
regards malcolm
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by PeterMann</i>

I had a substantial leak from the heater matrix which fixed itself twice.
In my case, this was done by changing from a water/oil coolant to a strong glycol antifreeze/antiboil mixture.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Citroën was voiding warranties on the cooling system unless their own 'Procor 3000' cooling fluid was used.
It's not Holy Water: 50% glycol.