Citroen ZX TD LPG

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Dunc55

Citroen ZX TD LPG

Post by Dunc55 »

I am currently considering having my 1995 zx td converted to LPG -
see http://www.ilovesponge.com/spongecars/diesel/diesel.htm - Have I gone mad ?
The car has done 100000 miles and just passed its emissions test with flying colours. Would this be a viable economic endeavour ?
The reason for my apparent madness is thatSheffield is allowing lpg converted cars to park for free in and around the city centre and that would make my life a lot easier.
If it makes sense to convert, can anyone think of anything I could do to the engine before installation to make sure it lasts the course ? Valves ? Valve seals ? Piston rings ? I notice that my car sometimes blows a fair bit of greyish smoke out occasionally after being stood in traffic for a while - which may say valve seat wear ?
[?] [?] [?]
Mosser
My Cars:

Post by Mosser »

Converting a diesel to LPG isnt a true conversion, i am pretty sure that the LPG just supplements the Diesel and doesnt replace it at any time, I might be wrong though, but i dont think it would be classed as a lpg vehicle, more of a lpg assisted vehicle
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Mosser is right , the LPG just suppliments the diesel burn. Depending on your anual mileage I would seriously consider spending your money elsewhere - may be even buying bio / veg diesel instead.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Having just read the technical info I concur with mosser and marty, the system just seems to improve the efficiency of the engine but it is still a diesel. Interesting though.......
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

For a diesel, I believe 'biodiesel' is the way to go (see the veg oil threads). For parking in the city centre, smash your leg up and apply for a disabled badge - you can then park practically anywhere! Or alternatively use Park & Ride and save the environment.