306 Diesel losing power when driving

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

boffy

306 Diesel losing power when driving

Post by boffy »

my 306 L reg has got a fuel starvation problem, it starts fine and runs ok untill it has been revved up, as soon as this happens sometimes the priming rubber bulb is sucked inwards and if it is driven for a while it will lose power and stops.
what I have done so far is change the fuel filter and blown down all the fuel lines to check for blockages and there are none - the pipes are not leaking either. Sometimes I can drive for 30 minutes before this happens!
Can anyone help please?
caveman_si
My Cars:

Post by caveman_si »

Never worked on 306 but my 2pences worth is:
If the priming bulb is sucked inwards that would imply that there is a blockage upstream of the bulb. Or that the pipes have become soft (as is often the case i believe with using biodiesel) and as such cant handle the vacuum. This in turn leads to the pipes collapsing giving you fuel starvation.
So double check the pipes from the bulb to the tank for there condition. If soft replace. Do your checking once the car has got warm 1st could be the heat is softening a pipe if you have moved them about recently.
Open the fuel tank if possible and check for sediment and the conditon of the fuel pick up. If full of rubbish clean out and try again.
hth
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

Also check the the priming bulb is fitted the correct way around
bad driver
My Cars:

Post by bad driver »

Blocked fuel tank breather creating a vaccum effect, undo the derv cap on the car then try running it, if its fine then bingo theres your problem.
boffy

Post by boffy »

Thanks people for your help!
I replaced the primer bulb with a new one . Had to be dealer part cost £15.00. Could not trace the breather pipe, so drilled 2mm.hole in the Platic Filler cap to avoid any vaccum forming in tank.
There was a vaccum because it hissed as I undid the cap!!
It seems to run O.K. now
Many Thanks for advice!
Boffy