C5 Heater fan control

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JT
My Cars:

C5 Heater fan control

Post by JT »

Just bought a '02 C5 HDI. The heater fan only works on the on high. (Number 4 on the dial)
I am told that the problem is caused by a duff heat sensor. Is this expensive and does anyone know how to go about replacing it.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance,
JT
kafkaian

Post by kafkaian »

I don't know, but how do you find your HDI generally? I'm in the market for an auto
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

It the heater manual (rotating dials) or automatic?
JT
My Cars:

Post by JT »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by 406 V6</i>

It the heater manual (rotating dials) or automatic?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Manual, Rotating dials
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Its probably the resistor unit if it has one, I would have thought a car that advanced would have some sort of electronic control. You need a manual.
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

I've been reading the tech docs concerning the ventilation, but there is no data respecting your problem.
It may reside on the speed controlling button getting dirty.
The only option i see is removing the frame surrounding the vent grilles/radio/ventilation controls, and remove the knob unit, trying to access it from behind.
Can't be more helpfull, sorry [:(]
JT
My Cars:

Post by JT »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by 406 V6</i>

I've been reading the tech docs concerning the ventilation, but there is no data respecting your problem.
It may reside on the speed controlling button getting dirty.
The only option i see is removing the frame surrounding the vent grilles/radio/ventilation controls, and remove the knob unit, trying to access it from behind.
Can't be more helpfull, sorry [:(]
Thanks for the info. I will have a go at it .
Do you know if the facia around the controls is clipped on.
Should I be able to prise it off with a fine screwdriver or something similar.
JT
My Cars:

Post by JT »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Peter.N.</i>

Its probably the resistor unit if it has one, I would have thought a car that advanced would have some sort of electronic control. You need a manual.
Could do with a manual, thats for sure. But Haynes have not published one for the C5 yet.
JT
My Cars:

Post by JT »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by kafkaian</i>

I don't know, but how do you find your HDI generally? I'm in the market for an auto
I only have the car about one month now. So far, apart from the heater fan, I am quite pleased with it.
The ride is very smooth and comfortable.(Typical Citroen)
Handling is good, especially on winding country roads. The HDI engine feels more powerful than the old turbo charged unit of the Xantia.
The boot is huge.
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

The silver/wood fascia is removable, but i have no idea on how to do it, as i've never done it to ours (but in a near future, i might. would appreciate feedback).
If i remember well from seeing it at the parts computer of my local dealer, it has clips above the vents, 2 around the radio and 2 on the bottom, but i'm not very sure.
I would use a strong plastic as susbtitute for the screwdriver, so as to avoiding damages to a minimum.
You will then have to remove the ventilation unit out, it uses torx screws.
JT
My Cars:

Post by JT »

Well I finally got the part for my heater fan control.
It turns out that the part in question is indeed called a heat sensor.
It consists of metal prongs covered in a green ceramic like substance with a plastic connection for a wiring plug at one end.
To access this unit on the car pull back the carpet at the back of the heater blower unit in the passenger side footwell.
All you can see of the heat sensor is the plastic end and the wiring plug.
There should be four wires going to it: black,grey green and blue.
Pull out the wiring plug, undo the two securing screws and pull out the unit.
Plug in the new unit and refit.
Job took ten to fifteen mins.
:D
JT