Xantia front brake hoses

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Gaskin
My Cars:

Xantia front brake hoses

Post by Gaskin »

Well the Xantia has just passed its MOT again with no problems (although the smoke test seemed close to the limits).
Both front brake hoses were noted as being slightly deteriorated.
So I guess it's off to GSF for 2 hoses and a selection of pipe seals so I can do these fairly soon. Any tips or things to look out for when changing these?
Also both rear indicators were noted as being discoloured. I haven't checked whether the bulbs are the yellow coated ones (in which case it is out with the orange OHP pen) or if it is the plastic on the lenses that is coloured (in which case it is out with the orange OHP pen!)
Cheers
Duncan
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Brake hoses available at reasonable cost from GSF (as are coloured bulbs) If they are the same as XM hoses they are very easy to fit.
adzbaby
My Cars:

Post by adzbaby »

When changing the front hoses the only things that can be a real bugger is working out the 'toothed' end of the hose (which fits into a bracket) and if the bleed nipple is seized (ensure you use a ring spanner, 8mm, and not an open end one). Undo the end not attached to the caliper first.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

You can cheat when it comes to bleeding the brakes[:D]
Retract the pads a bit to ensure that there's fluid as far as the caliper union, and fit the hose to the 'non caliper end'. Place a container under the free end of the hose (which should ideally be elevated), and operate the brakes briefly to fill it with fluid. Fit the hose to the caliper, leaving the union loose, then operate the brakes again, so that fluid drips from the coupling. Finally tighten the coupling, ideally as someone else presses the pedal.
There may be just a trace of air left in the system, but not enough to cause any trouble.
adzbaby
My Cars:

Post by adzbaby »

ah ha thats a cheeky method, I like it, very useful if your bleed nipple is seized. Good tip.