xantia how much is it worth

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lurchy666
My Cars: citroen c5 hdi 2.2 auto estate

xantia how much is it worth

Post by lurchy666 »

does any one know how much a p reged lx xantia is worth with air con cause my insurance is rather high and i was wondering if the car is actually worth how much i'm payin from john
mpr1956
My Cars:

Post by mpr1956 »

Hi John, have a quick look on Ebay to get a rough idea... Early Xantiae (is that the right term?) are well into banger territory now -even good turbodiesels are not fetching what they are really worth. The premium on my 93 tdsx is well over two thirds of what the old girl is worth! Good luck, Martin
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Obviously there is only one solution to the problem - buy a more expensive car so that your insurance premium is a smaller percentage of what the car is worth!
Jeremy
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If its petrol....Not a lot!
lurchy666
My Cars: citroen c5 hdi 2.2 auto estate

Post by lurchy666 »

well i'm paying just over a grand i'm 21 i can understand my age + big car = big insurance but i've been told a p reg xantia lx with air con according to parkers used car guide is worth around 600-800 quid
madasafish

Post by madasafish »

Try 3rd Party fire and theft to reduce costs..
born2die
My Cars:

Post by born2die »

I must say that the activa is the first car I have owned where the value of the car outstrips the insurance costs. Although my insurance is still £800 a year tpft I have a few points to my name from a few years ago.
Try confused.com for a comparative quote. I always go not by whats the car worth but what it means IE I was prepared to put up with a big insuance sum on a 9000 because I loved the car and the same with the activa it would make more sense to run a smaller car but I love my activa so it makes the insurance worth it.
although what annoys me is that to insure a 1.4ish deisel 205 would cost £1000 plus to insure as a seperate car tpft. But to insure as the only car in the house tpft would cost £500 so I judged that as i liked the activa so much the difference in premium was worth it although the running costs are higher.
turbo201
My Cars:

Post by turbo201 »

As has already been suggested try confused.com.
I used them for my Activa and found a very nice quote indeed with Direct Choice in Newmarket.
They have a policy specially for cars under £3000 in value which made a massive difference in relation to the stupid quotes I was getting.
With regards to value,I reckon Xantias must be the biggest bargain out there to buy.They are so cheap for the car you get that it's ridiculous.
Recently put my fully loaded Activa on Ebay and it made £600(the reserve I'd put on it)and it is a clean car.
Joke is,that even turned out to be a timewaster![:D]
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Your insurance premium isn't just to cover the value of your car, its also to cover the damage you could do to other people's cars, other people and their property. Other people drive cars that are worth a lot more than yours. You could have an accident that was your fault and put somebody into a wheelchair for life, that's why your premium is more than the car is worth.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I agree about the Confused docom thing, I have got my insurance through that site for two years, as to Xantia values, 1995 TD, new battery alternator clutch and spheres a couple of months T+T for two fifty they seem to be going for peanuts[:D]
Stewart
RDD
My Cars:

Post by RDD »

I have an almost-immaculate P-reg SX Estate (albeit petrol), picked it up for £300.
When the insurance settled with us when my wife wrote our M-plate TD LX hatch off, it was valued (by them) at £500
Prices vary, depends very much on the seller, more than market-led pricing. Between £300 and £800 is as close as I'm prepared to go :D
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by lurchy666</i>

well i'm paying just over a grand i'm 21 i can understand my age + big car = big insurance but i've been told a p reg xantia lx with air con according to parkers used car guide is worth around 600-800 quid
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
It's a different world out here ... A Xantia is a "smallish/medium" sized car, a 1.8litre motor is laughable .... Infact there average car is the size of an XM and has at least a high tech 3.5litre V6 ...
I can go out and by (quite cheaply given the average wage) a brand new Ford Falcon (base model, cheapest, smallest engined, poverty special) ... What do I then have ??? An automatic car that will do 0-100km/h in 7.8seconds and can tow 2.5tons [:0] [:0] And yes, I'm sure newly licensed drivers can drive them, insurance not being very expensive (with them being a standard passenger car & all).
And then the goverment complains about how many kids get killed on the roads every year, and how even more speed cameras are the answer[V]
seeya,
Shane L.
matt
My Cars:

Post by matt »

Hi lurchy,your insurance seems pretty high for a family car,so i tried a quote with my insurer(direct line)pretending i was 21,i wish!So for a 93 td xantia lx worth £800 came out as £766 fully comp how does that compare to your other quotes?ps for me being 30[:(]it was £249.90[:D] the exact same as my 405.
kafkaian

Post by kafkaian »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by matt</i>

Hi lurchy,your insurance seems pretty high for a family car,so i tried a quote with my insurer(direct line)pretending i was 21,i wish!So for a 93 td xantia lx worth £800 came out as £766 fully comp how does that compare to your other quotes?ps for me being 30[:(]it was £249.90[:D] the exact same as my 405.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Blimey that was good (£249). I have my wife on my policy and it's nearer £400 from direct line with 2000 years no claims and we're nearer 40 [:D][:D].
I too wish I was 21 again [:D]
matt
My Cars:

Post by matt »

It must depend on postcode but i also insure our lass!who is only 25[:p]
21 yes i remember,fast cars,fast women,fast food[}:)]