Lockable Wheelnuts

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mbunting
My Cars:

Lockable Wheelnuts

Post by mbunting »

Just bought a car, it has lockable wheelnuts ( cunningly disguised by a cap making it look like a normal stud ). I have contacted the previous owner, and he didn't even realise it had them.
The problem is ( as you've guessed by now ), I don't have the key.
Just contacted the local pug garrage, he seems to think that they may be standard peugeot after-fit accessories, but aparently there is no master key for them.
He says the only thing he can do for me is do drill them out.
Any ideas ? My front right is barely legal at the moment, and obviously there will be a problem soon....
The stud in the wheels at the moment has a flat head, with holes in ( looking similar to a nr 4 domino )
jpl
My Cars:

Post by jpl »

Had a similar problem with my 106 Rallye.
Took it to a local garage and they managed to get them off for a tenner.
There are tools that garages have to jam over the stud and then they gun them off with an air wrench.
matt
My Cars:

Post by matt »

You could try finding a socket that is a very tight fit and hammer it over the outside of the nut if theres room or best bet would be to drill them out if you can get a good centre to pilot drill first.
pug_owner2002
My Cars:

Post by pug_owner2002 »

I had a similar problem on my old car when a garage tightened the nuts up with an air gun and snapped the locking nut key!
All I did was weld a 17mm nut to the end of the locking nut and undid it.
hill

Post by hill »

Depending on the age of the vehicle, you may be able to go to a dealer and get a new key from the chassis number. if, that is, they are a genuine Pug locking nut!
Don't forget to find out the cost before you order one!!
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mbunting</i>

The stud in the wheels at the moment has a flat head, with holes in ( looking similar to a nr 4 domino )
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Hi
They sound like the early Peugeot locking bolts, They are a right swine to get off without the key, Thats why Peugeot changed the design to the useless splined version.
If you have the 4 digit code number for the locking bolts & gave your friendly Peugeot dealer this & £27 he will order you a new key.
Hammer & punch or an stud extractor down the middle, Good luck.
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Might try the removers you can get from the tool places, basically seem to be a threaded socket that you screw over the outer edge of the stud, and then persuade it with a wrench. If this doesn't work, then I might go the welding nut route.
Thanks for your replies !
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Just thought I'd update you.

Those wheel remover sockets were a good idea, but the walls were too thick.

Went to the local garrage, and the guy came out with a selection of official peugeot sockets, and one fitted.

They had all be slightly modified, I won't say how, but he'd never failed yet !
405 STi Auto Est
Cruise, Aircon, Sunroof