broken wheel wires

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

druist

broken wheel wires

Post by druist »

I noticed to broken electrical looking wires that go to my drivers side front wheel. Now the only thing i have noticed not working it my speedo - surely these dont control that?
aengus
My Cars:

Post by aengus »

no, they'll be for the pad wear indicator, or maybe the ABS sensor if you have it (and you ABS light would be on all the time).
druist

Post by druist »

thanks dave. can you tell where the speedo is in relation to the drive area on the xantia TDS, the odometer works but the needle just keeps going from zero to 50 all the time. Is is a worm drive type?
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Xantia speedos are electronic, there is a sender unit in the gearbox on top of the diff.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

most probably the brake pad wear indicator wires ,they appear to have an affinity with the inside of the front wheel.
Stewart
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If the odometer works the drive to the speedo must be OK, must be the instrument thats faulty.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by oilyspanner</i>

most probably the brake pad wear indicator wires ,they appear to have an affinity with the inside of the front wheel.
Stewart
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Not if they're correctly routed. The outside pad wire has a hook at the bottom to hold it away from the wheel, and I also passed both wires through the bleed nipple cap, using it as a cable tie.
When I did the pads on mine recently I commented that the Xantia was one of the few cars I've seen that actually has proper routing and support for the pad wear wires - so many cars just let them hang out in the breeze just asking for them to drag on the disc or catch on something...
Regards,
Simon
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I always carefully route the things on my BX - then the last ones came into contact with the handbrake! - Lovely signs of electrochemical corrosion all over the end of the handbrake cable - it seems a shame to disturb it!
jeremy
druist

Post by druist »

just to add, my rev counter doesnt work either