Twin choke solex on a 1.1 205

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jpl
My Cars:

Twin choke solex on a 1.1 205

Post by jpl »

How much difference will a twin choke solex carburettor from a XS/Gt
make on 1.1 TU1 engine which has about 60bhp as standard?
What sort of price will I have to pay for the carb and inlet manifold?
Is it a bolt on job and can I do it without draining all the coolant?
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

In theory the carb may be too big for the little 1.1 engine, but its maybe worth a try! I did it on my old 1.4, it lost a little at low engine speeds if both chokes opened as the gas velocity slowed, but gained quite a fair bit higher in the rev range.
You will have to drain the coolant if you are changing the manifolds
macaroni
My Cars:

Post by macaroni »

Should be pretty good and bolt straight on. Why do you have to drain the coolant to remove the inlet manifold? I didn't on my xs.
They are always on ebay for £20 or so.
You should also be able to fit the xs cam too, which is a bit hotter than the standard 1.1 cam. If you wish to go down this route, I have a standard cam and maybe an xs head too. Let me know.
Peter D
My Cars:

Post by Peter D »

About £50-£100 on your insurance. ?? The car will over fuel at tick over and higher on laods revs and probable fail an MOT without re-jetting the carb. Regards Peter
macaroni
My Cars:

Post by macaroni »

Not if you use HIC insurance. They only load engine mods if they increase power by 10bhp.
Re-jetting it is easy, you can get jets from www.fuel-parts.co.uk for a few quid.
It won't be too big. I have fitted a 38DGAS, from a Ford 3l V6 to my xs and it is too big, but careful jetting can alleviate most of the problems. Got through the MOT too, but needed jetting back.