ZX Wheel Bearings - Pobble Woes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

anelson2000
My Cars:

ZX Wheel Bearings - Pobble Woes

Post by anelson2000 »

Greetings!
My "trusty" ZX has developed another characteristic, it's been present for some time (much before Radiator, Driveshaft & Accelerator problems as listed previously!!)
Driving along at (any) speed there is a distinct rattle coming from the underside (front) of the car. It's most prominent after you go over a potholl or other obstacle but usually it doesnt have to be anything severe to make it happen; it usually lasts a good few seconds and the steering seems to be effected.
I thought it was the spare wheel holder so with lots of effort, blood sweat tears and more blood the holder is now off. Went for a victory ride but alas problems persist.
Mr. Nelson Senior has inspected the problem and is confident that the bearings have gone on the front n/s of the car; but being a brand new Audi driver I thought I'd get a second opinion!
Help!
Thanks in advance,
Cheers, adrian.
jmwoowar
My Cars:

Post by jmwoowar »

Hello anelson2000,
just a suggestion as my ZX has been doing that for quite a while now. If it's a distictive rattle like knocking sound from the front it'll be the bushings on the front suspension arms that are worn. Hitting potholes will knock the pivots even more and make the noise more obvious. I've heard it's not too hard to change the whole arm and they work out about £45 from GSF, complete with the new bushes.
Hope that helps.
mpr1956
My Cars:

Post by mpr1956 »

Hi nelson jnr, if you're lucky then its just the roll-bar droplinks (one or both) worn.. even cheaper to replace ! ( they make a "pobble" sound on rough surfaces.. do a search under "droplinks" or even "pobble" on here for more advice)
anelson2000
My Cars:

Post by anelson2000 »

Hi mpr, having searched for "pobble" - the noise is definately similar to that encountered by others. I've had a quick look at the wheel this morning but when I got there I wasn't really sure which bit I was supposed to be looking at ! Any clues?
I'm sure that my anti-roll bar was replaced a few months ago (that presumably being the shiny new vertical object?)...?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Could be the one on the other side, try bouncing the suspension up and down, you should hear it 'clonk'.
anelson2000
My Cars:

Post by anelson2000 »

hmmmm thanks for your suggestions. I've looked through the Haynes BOL but there are no clues as to where I might find the droplinks - any suggestions?
Cheers, Adrian
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Droplinks run from the anti-roll bar to the shock absorbers or possibly the track control arm (connects chassis to hub carrier at the bottom of the strut). Wear in the joints is notoriously difficult to trace and often its simpler just to replace them.
Jeremy
anelson2000
My Cars:

Post by anelson2000 »

update! took the wheel off to have a look for the droplink and shock horror the hub carrier moved down a good few inches! The cause, shock absorber; which has broken. Sigh. Took it to my new local garage (Bridge in Pentraeth, very friendly) who sighed, tutted and sucked their teeth - £70. But at least the rattle may stop and the chance of me dying in my car is lessened!
Thanks guys for your suggestions and help as always :)
Adrian
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Although im very pleased with my nearly acquired Xantia I still miss the fun and characteristics of the zx (namely the list of tiny problems) but at least its my mums now so i still get to see her everytime i come home.