ZX Tempromental Starter! HELP

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Scots_girl83

ZX Tempromental Starter! HELP

Post by Scots_girl83 »

Hi all,
My little cute ZX 1.4 (93?) is a little bit funny on starting. Sometimes she starts fine, other days nothing, just turns over (battery seems fine). I thought at first it was damp as she started after spraying damp start but then that didn't even work. I've been told it could be a few things - the electronic choke, petrol problem(filter?). New spark plugs were fitted last week so I know its not that.
Do any of you know of any common faults found in these cars or any other ideas what the problem may be.
Thanks for any help! :-)
mg46783
My Cars:

Post by mg46783 »

Hiya,I did reply to this the other day but my computer erm, broke down, mid session, so it didnt go through!
Anyhow, it would be worth having a look at the crank sensor wiring. Its just possible that the sensor itself is dicky but sometimes its just the wiring connector needs unplugging,cleaning and replugging. Try it.. certainly worth at try from what you describe. Let us know.
Mike
Chris_L

Post by Chris_L »

Hi,
Well there're really only three things fundamentally it can be. Fuel, air or petrol. You just need to go through them systematically (unless Mike's suggestion works straight away!). First electrical - When its not working, remove one of the HT leads and hold it (with a suitable tool so you don't get shocked) near to the top of the spark plug. When your friend turns over the car, you should see a spark between the end of the lead and the top of the spark plug / engine. If its there, then your electricals are ok. Next fuel - remove the fuel pipe from the input to the carburretor and put it into a milk bottle or similar to catch any fuel that comes out. Then get your friend to turn the car over again. If any fuel comes out, then your fuel supply is OK. Again, you'd have to wait until it wasn't working and try it then. Not really sure how you'd check if air was getting in, but I wouldn't have thought it would be that anyway. Its usually one of the other two, and given your syptoms, i'd say it was probably electrical (as its quite intermittent). Once you've established that, then at least you've narrowed it down a bit and we can all scratch our heads and give you some other stuff to try!
Hope this helps,
Chris
Scots_girl83

Post by Scots_girl83 »

Thanks for your help.
Mike you were right! Once the sensor was cleaned she started no problem. Couldn't believe how simple it was, and she has started fine (touch wood) since then. :-)
I was told that I should replace the sensor though. Any idea how much I could pick one up for??
Thank you!!
mg46783
My Cars:

Post by mg46783 »

Hiya.. Im glad that worked for you ;-)
Its suprising these days how often that fault crops up when someone has been unfortunate enough to have misdiagnosed and you end up spending a lot of money on replacing this that and the other.
As to replacing it.. it depends how dirty it was really. If it was "reasonably" dirty then its quite likely thats all it was.. they do get grubby on the end due to clutch dust usually and as I said, the connectors themselves. The last one I had to replace in that vein was on an AX - Im sure it was only around £30. or so, so its not too bad and I would imagine it would be similar price. ( if not the same item !!) You would need by the way, to quote wen ordering it, the white painted digits on one of the suspension turrets (usually 4 of them I think ) - its a "build code".
So... all the best then.. Let us know if you struggle again..
kind regards
Mike