Ultra Economical N/A Diesel

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

martyhopkirk

Ultra Economical N/A Diesel

Post by martyhopkirk »

Filled up at Asda on Monday night, done 260 miles - guage still leaps over to full staight away when switching and its staying on full no matter how many miles I do.
Im sooooo impressed with my ZX.
<font size="1">Or does anyone think the sender might be chuffed?[:o)]</font id="size1">
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

nah!, it's just the fuel gauge not working [:D]
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Marty, I'm sure the gauge is working perfectly, them N/As are very economical, wait for the light to come on!!! Stick a gallon of diesel in the boot if first...
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I don't think the fuel gauge on a ZX is its finest part. Our 1.9D reads empty with 4 or 5 gallons in the tank and the gauge accuracy seems to be improving a bit after 3 years. It reads full for about 75 miles.
Marty - best to fill it up and work out what it's doing - as you know you should run between 480 and 650 miles before it stops.
jeremy
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

Any 1.9D engined car is going to be very economical. I once managed to squeeze 840 miles out of a tank in my old 405. Not bad considering it was an estate, had 330k miles on the clock, and was completely knackered.
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

I only have one thing to say about ultra economic diesels.
Visa 17RD. 60 mpg sir, easy peasy, 95mph sir, easy peasy. I really liked that car.
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

The Leon will easily do about 57 mpg if treated gently. And EASILY 120mph if not. But definitely not both at the same time!
ZX fuel gauges are somewhat notorious. I don't trust them at all. The gauge on my old 1.4i stuck for a couple of weeks or so once. A bit of hard cornering shifted it eventually, but I was watching for 360 miles on the tripmeter in the meantime. Much more reliable!
The gauge on the Leon is far from perfect either. The last quarter does about 70 miles, when the first does 170. I'm assuming they allow a bit of reserve in there, but I've been nervous a couple of times. Especially when reading 0 miles remaining when we were 20 miles from home on the way back from a holiday. I can't think of a surer way to land in the doghouse for an extended period. [xx(]
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Hiya Marty. [:)]
I carry a plastic can in my car boot containing 3 Litres of cooking oil just in case I ever run out of fuel. It's safer to carry than diesel. [:D] [;)]
Not that I am suggesting for one minute that a ZX would ever have a faulty fuel gauge, we all know that the ZX 1.9D is perfik... [8)] [^]
I think your ZX will average around 60 mpg, it does look very shiny and slippery.. [8)] [:D]
TomH
My Cars:

Post by TomH »

I think mine used to stay at full for a couple of hundred miles after fill-up and then plummeted before stabilising at 1/4 full for a while, getting me 350-400 miles a tank. I could never get more than about 38 litres in though
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Nahh, I know the sender is cooked as the fuel guage leaps with Olympic enthusiasm all the way as far as it can possibly go past full once the ingnition is switched on - neen out again tonight and put another 40 miles on, its still at full deflection, so with just under 300 miles since I filled up and still reading full..... erm either ASDA have discovered teh secret of diesel nuclear fusion at room temprature, or me senders cooked.
Still, not the end of the world, not is it the most awkward thisng to swap. An hours swearing should do it.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

And you've got tip up back seats like a BX - which should make access easier.
Jeremy