car just wont start

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

christine mellor
My Cars:

car just wont start

Post by christine mellor »

im at my wits end with my x reg xsara some days it runs like a dream other times it just will not start ive had it in the garage numerous times but they have done minor changes but cant find the cause any ideas[:(!]
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

Christine: the first thing required to start to give any is a little bit more information. Is it a diesel or a petrol-engine Xsara, and what model is it? Is there a pattern to the starting failures (e.g. good/bad weather, after long/short runs, hot/cold engine etc.)? What have you been told by the garage about the problem? For how long has it been going on?
Please don't mention the garage name as this forum's aim is to provide technical help if possible on the terms outlined by the moderators, and not to give cause for any litigation.
christine mellor
My Cars:

hi paul its a four door turbo diesel saloon there is no pattern at all its done it on a hot day a wet day while its in the garage.the garage changed filters etc, but cant pinpoint the root of the problem
then 10 mins later it will start so annoying[?]thanks for your reply
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

There's a rubber bulb which you can pump to make sure that the fuel's fully up to the engine. Does this help the non-starting?
When you try and start it, does it always go a few minutes later, or will it sometimes not go even then?
stubbsy

Post by stubbsy »

sounds like the stop solenoid on the pump is on its way out.i had this on a 205 and finally gave up the ghost all together after a fortnite of playing up
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

could be your fuel pump aparently they have probs with electric pumps,or you imobalizer as these can be intermitant
regards malcolm
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

More thane likely as Stubbsy says, an intermittent stop solonoid. If you look at the fuel injection pump you will find it in the top at the end nearest the middle of the engine, it has a single wire connected to it. To check it, you can remove it and take out the plunger and spring from inside, refit it and it should start every time, only you will have to put it in 5th gear and stall it to stop it.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

How about using the stop lever on the fuel pump instead of stalling your engine? Deliberately stalling in 5th puts rather a lot of strain on your clutch and gearbox.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Hadn't thought of that! Comes from years of driving Perkins 4/108 powered vehicles without a stop control, athough I have never broken anything doing it .
christine mellor
My Cars:

thank you all for your replies will let you know how i get on