309 Diesel Cam Belt: noise after change

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JulesLuvsHis309D

309 Diesel Cam Belt: noise after change

Post by JulesLuvsHis309D »

Following having a trusted (how much longer?) Service / Repair Workshop owner replace Cam Belt (new, of course) on my 1.9 Peugeot 309 Diesel it has been making an unpleasant regular noise which keeps pace with engine revs.

Mechanic (virtually my Brother in Law) seems genuinely confused by this despite being in trade for donkeys years; and I'm worried, very worried. So much so I'm not using car til it's sorted.

Unfortunately he and my family live some distance away, and I'm not keen to drive it back for him to look at (even though it got me home fine)

Noise is regular and 'clicky'; sounds like a bearing noise to my (basic DIY type) ear. It's not loud, but it's there and shouldn't be. 99.99% certain cambelt related, best heard from within O/S/F wheelarch

Anyone come across this?
Might something seize up on me resulting in snapped new cam belt?

Far as I can tell, noise is from the top end of belt. Had a good look around the Internet and perhaps is Tensioner?

NB: Not a very common car the 309 Diesel, but believe this car shares engine with various other Peugeot / Citroens including 205 ?

Mine's a 1987 car, non-turbo charged and more than enough power to pull skin off a rice pudding! [:D]; mostly in motorway use it's done me almost 1,000 miles in 2 1/2 weeks without problem - til i had the cambelt changed; ironic eh! My pride & joy; being my first car owned in 9 years; and representing a substantial investment by my modest standards.

NNB: Seems to have a fairly severe flat spot at about 2000RPM when cold; not noticed prior to new belt. Not expecting it to be related though.

PS: Various Peugeot bits & pieces required including Radio, Fuel Filler flap (willing to pay premium for Beige colour)
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

Sounds like it's a tensioner roller that should have been changed, or possibly a water pump that is on it's way out. Could also be something as benign as a loose belt cover. Either way, it needs taking apart again, and the source of the noise found, as you are right that if it is a dead tensioner, and it gives up, it could be terminal.
Thankfully, a 309 1.9D is one of the easiest XUD installations to work on, and having it all apart again will be fairly easy (well, compared to a Xantia anyway!)
Where are you based?