BX16v cap and arm

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Flynn

BX16v cap and arm

Post by Flynn »

Need a new cap and arm for BX16v. Looks a heck of a price so assume it's genuine Ducelier as could get similar for lot less. Can anyone confirm that? Cheers.
N92110 DISTRIBUTOR CAP BX 16V DUCELLIER CAP 25.00
N92210 IGNITION ROTOR ARM BX 16V DUCELLIER ARM 19.60 + VAT etc
j_roc

Post by j_roc »

WOW £44.60 (plus VAT) for a Dizzy cap and Rotor arm! How so expensive? I know its a slightley older car but that is unreal! And I thought that £15 was expensive for a CVH Dizzy cap.
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

Is that the same as the 8v GTI? as I have a vertually new one.
cornishbx16v

Post by cornishbx16v »

no the 8v is different! i get mine from local factors i am affraid! intermotor kit is normally what comes out, arm is about £14 and the cap is about £18, a lot of the guys on www.bx16v.com dont like the intrermotor stuff but i have to say i drive mine Very hard and it more than copes with it! So thats what i recomend!
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

I got mine for about £3 off ebay brand new in box..
Paulmi16
My Cars:

Post by Paulmi16 »

I was lucky my local Peugeot dealer gave me one that they were about to throw away during a clear out! Its comes with arm and cap, which probably explains the price.
Paul.
Dave1

Post by Dave1 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Flynn</i>

Need a new cap and arm for BX16v. Looks a heck of a price so assume it's genuine Ducelier as could get similar for lot less. Can anyone confirm that? Cheers.
N92110 DISTRIBUTOR CAP BX 16V DUCELLIER CAP 25.00
N92210 IGNITION ROTOR ARM BX 16V DUCELLIER ARM 19.60 + VAT etc
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
From GSF not likely to be Ducellier despite what the brochure says ( the little asterisk may mean substitute). I ordered one but on collection it was a Beru. It works fine but had I known I would have hung out for the Ducellier. I just didn't want to mess them about as it was ordered specially and AFAIK beru are a good make. I had already rejected intermoter elsewhere but the Beru looks similar to it.
I find citroen OE is often better quality than some replacments and this is the case with the cap. You can see the difference in quality just by looking at them. The same applied with a water pump replacement. I am careful now since I do not want to replace good quality parts with others just because they are a bit cheaper. In this case pay the extra (will be a lot) and get the Duc.
Dave
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

have you tried your local lucas branch
regards malcolm
Paulmi16
My Cars:

Post by Paulmi16 »

I remember using a motaquip cap part no vdc 298 and arm part no vra268 in the dim and distant past.
Paul.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

There is no "genuine Citroen" part for this. Just a genuine Citroen logo box for the parts. But contents may vary - i.e. Ducellier, Valeo - whoever supplied to Citroen at the time.
The 16V dizzy cap and rotor is for some reason special made. Could be caused by a higher spec on the HT voltage. Physically the rotor arm is screw fixed. A design long discontinued on other cars at the time [:(]
Bery is a reputed German ignition parts manufacturer - and Beru overtook the French manufacturer of ignition parts Eyquem a couple of years ago. Eyquem has been the "genuine" Citroen ignition parts supplier for ages.
BTW : If your BX16V is fitted with the old style "coiled" center lead HT cables - it will prove more economic to replace with the later type carbon center lead types. Reason is the coiled types makes a back EMF from the coil - thus burning out your dizzy cap and rotor contacts too soon.
Dave1

Post by Dave1 »

Right, Cit will use different suppliers. In ref to this, when I checked with Cit parts they did advise they would supply a Ducellier. (their tech. section confirmed it)
At the time the price put me off!
Pat no. 96038183 DISTRIBUTOR (cap alone) £104.50 (inc vat) but you will most likey get some trade on it. 20% if on a stock order. If you do order make sure they confirm it for you too.
It all depends if you want to keep it original or not with a quality part. You will see the contacts of your original, compare them to the cheaper ones.
Flynn

Post by Flynn »

Ordered it and as Dave said, they're Beru. Fitted them and for some reason it runs a <i>lot</i> worse than the original Ducellier bits I took off. Very erratic tickover. Got the tickover to sound better by twiddling with the idle mixture but it still doesn't feel too good when driven. Bugger.
Flynn

Post by Flynn »

PS. Reason I changed it was because I was having starting problems on damp mornings. Changed ig leads and plugs a couple of weeks ago. Today (after fitting cap and arm couple of days ago) for the first time ever it struggled to start despite perfect warm weather. Don't seem to be going in quite the right direction.
cornishbx16v

Post by cornishbx16v »

Flynn are you a memebr of www.bx16v.com ?????? almost all the members have had similar problems as yours! may be able to shed a bit more light on it!
Flynn

Post by Flynn »

Yes I'm a member Cornish. A quiet one.
Had another look and think I might be getting closer. [:)]
Looks like I've got a leaking injector seal. At least, looks like a hint of fuel just below the rail on top of #1 injector.
GSF don't seem to list them so is it a main dealer item? And is it just a simple spanner job as it looks?