CamBelt

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

OwenP
My Cars:

CamBelt

Post by OwenP »

My P reg 405 DT estate is currently coming up on 68000 miles so I'm starting to think about getting the cambelt changed. My local garage will do either just the belt for about £150 or the belt and tensioners (i.e. a cambelt kit) for about £210.
Which is the better one to go for and would you suggest that I get it done before I go to Scotland for a few days in 10 days time?
Cheers
caveman_si
My Cars:

Post by caveman_si »

I paid £230 a few months back to get the cambelt the auxbelt and the water pump changed on my 405 at a local independant cit garage. so £210 seem reasonable if a pump is being included.
But there are some people that will say just buy the belt from gsf for £20 ish irc and fit it yourself. Im not one of those tho cos i havent a clue how to do it and was happy to pay my £230 for some one to do it.
As for when you get it done depends on the condition of the belts i did an extra 10k on my car from deciding to get the belt changed to getting it done. But on hindsite i should have got it done earlier for peace of mind.
hth
matt
My Cars:

Post by matt »

Yep,£150 for cambelt is about the going rate,what most good garages do is strip it down and only change the tensioners/pump if there knackered or if you ask them to,its up to you[?]
bad driver
My Cars:

Post by bad driver »

I would pay the extra and have the tensioners changed, not uncommon for them to fail early which leaves a big bill to pay
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I wouldn't worry about the tensioners - they are usually good for 150k + on XUD engines. Just get the garage to check them for play / roughness (my bet is there will be none!). Get them to check the water pump too.