The most expensive PC fan ever!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

citroenzx
My Cars:

The most expensive PC fan ever!

Post by citroenzx »

Found this when searching on e-bay, described as a "mini turbo, electric supercharger system"! christ! its looks just like a PC fan in a little silver box to me!
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Power-Booster_W0Q ... dZViewItem
Reduced from £179, they've only got 10 left! tempting [:o)]
Edit = Forgot to put link in!
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

And it only takes 12 watts!!!!
Woohoo!!!!-I think he's violated every known law of physics and invented perpetual motion into the bargain!!
Let me see,it consumes less power than the courtesy light, yet gives you a 15bhp boost??? I might email him and ask if two put together will give me an extra 30 bhp.......
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

I am now awaiting his reply.........
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

He also doesn't appear to know how a turbo works:
"Traditionally cars have enjoyed performance increases via a turbo (re-circulating unburned exhaust gases)"
Which is a complete load of tosh.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">The problems with super-chargers were two fold; firstly, the extra load on the engine that made it even more inefficient<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Isn't this a supercharger? A mechanically driven supercharger would be more efficient, it would have no electrical losses.
It also says that it will increase efficiency too, not on a petrol engine it won't. More boost means retarded ignition which means less efficiency.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bxbodger</i>

I am now awaiting his reply.........
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
As am I. I asked him if he is aware that he's claiming to have broken the laws of physics!
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

Lets face it, this does look an itsy bit iffy for that sort of money[8D] But the actual idea of putting some sort of electric fan in the air flow is something I've thought about before. I'm just not sure what sort of volume you'd have to pump in to make a noticeable difference. 179 quids worth?[:(]
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

OK,
If i may go onto some engineering theory.
Simply the more air you can stuff into an engine the more fuel it can burn and the more power it wil give you.
Piston driven aircraft untilise this very well, at about 300 mph the air being forced through ducting tinto the carb intake can be worth enough extra power to add 50hp.
On a similar note a dyane intake has a cowled intake that forces air into the filter box, thereby basically superchargin it. At the 70 odd mph a dyane can travel at this effect is worth at best maybe 1hp.
Back onto topic this fan unit cannot generate anything like a 70mph wind into your intake so its quite literally not worth a damn.
Anyone who buys one is being conned. But you all know this anyway :-)
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Well he hasn't replied yet!!!
Have a look on his website for more info
http://www.powerandeconomy.co.uk/power_booster.html
Theres a picture of one fitted to a golf and lots of brightly coloured graphs.....and while you're there, check out the other stuff!!! Its all patented in Germany after "years of development" by kamann autosport, whoever they are......
"But we cannae defy the laws of physics,captain....." Well they have, Scotty!!!!
Mosser
My Cars:

Post by Mosser »

If you really want to force air into your inlet ducting, you need something similar to this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Kress-Jets-RK-709 ... dZViewItem
It produces a kilo of static thrust and should produce around 3-4psi in the duct, they are generally efficient to around 200mph airflow velocities, it willbe drawing around 30 amps but this is the sort of thing that stands a chance of making a difference to the engine power,
If anyone wants more details about these engines, let me know and i will dig some more info out, i used to fly electric ducted fan model aircraft and they are very powerful, capable of over 3 kilos of static thrust on some setups and 220mph top speeds (radar trap proven), thats a lot of air being moved !!
lighteninguk

Post by lighteninguk »

i love the following quote....
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">cooled air burns more efficiently because their is more oxygen in the air<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
wow.... never knew cold air had more oxygen in it....
if only in 1932-1933 when Rolls-Royce was developing their "Merlin" engine for aircraft they had personal computers, they would have relised that their computer fans were more efficient[:o)][:o)][:o)]
imagine fitting this,
to this [:D][:0][:o)]
which was eventually developed to be a beast of a (about)27litre 2000HP [:D]
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Apparently the supercharger on a Merlin needs 400bhp to run it, that's a bit more than 12 watts.
demag
(Donor 2016)

Post by demag »

I did a search on the website for "Bullsh*t" but it said no matching items were found.
Must be genuine then.[:p]
demag
(Donor 2016)

Post by demag »

Reading all of this has somehow reminded me of something that happened many many years ago. But being as this thread is quite interesting I wouldn't dare hijack it. I'll start a new one, "Water Injection" [:)]
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

That second question did make me chuckle!!!!