Poor Xantia Demisting

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

djc1960
My Cars:

Poor Xantia Demisting

Post by djc1960 »

I really love my Xantia ('96 1.9TD) no complaints at all except for the heater/demister.
It's been total poo since I got the car two years ago. I've checked the usual things like the blower intake not being stuffed up with leaves and all seems OK. The blower sounds like it ought to have lots of oomph but it just doesn't seem to.
Is this normal and if not, does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem might be.
Thanks
nitro74
My Cars:

Post by nitro74 »

Hello
I have got the same problem as well, demister and blower won't work. I've been told that it is your igmition switch gone. it is behind the ignition barrel, to sort this problem out, you have to remove the steering wheel(obviously the airbag as well). and then you got to seperate the switch from the barrel, this ment to be a fiddly job. if you look at the forum more detailed and search in the forum you will see lots of helpful hints about this subject as it seems quite common fault on xantias.
PS.before doing anything about this consult other people both from the forum or a mechanic as I am writing what I have heard and read, I haven't done it yet just trying to find an ignition switch and waiting to be in a good and patient mood.
Good luck
zzf00l
My Cars:

Post by zzf00l »

Didn't djc 1960 say that his blower'sounds like it ought to have lots of oomph' from which I assume that his blower is WORKING!!!!!
c.morewood
Donor 2023
My Cars: '00 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 65K "W"
'99 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 310K SORN "V"
'98 Xantia 1.9TD SX Estate 150K Sold "T"

Post by c.morewood »

Might sound obvious...but has the pollen filter been changed lately?
Chris
nitro74
My Cars:

Post by nitro74 »

yes you are right zzf001. also my blower and demister works sometimes but usually when the engine is running they stop working. or they do work for couple of minutes or so then stop. I think this switch don't just stop working it takes time for them to die. I thought djc1960 has the same problem.
cheers
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by c.morewood</i>

Might sound obvious...but has the pollen filter been changed lately?
Chris
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Where is the pollen filter ? Both the Xantia's I know (mine and my Dad's) have not much in the way of airflow to the windscreen, and I was beginning to wonder if it was "normal" poor Citroen ventilation. [:D]
Also to the original poster, if you're having problems fogging up all the time, check the inside of the window is clean. When I got my Xantia the windscreen was fogging up with the slightest bit of cold weather, even with the blower on full or the windows down I couldn't see a thing.
On the first test drive I took it for before I bought it, it started raining, the window fogged up, and I had to pull over to the side of the road, it was so bad. I only made it back by wiping the window with a clean rag but even then it was hard to see.
In fine weather the window seemed clean but on a hunch I cleaned the entire inside of the windscreen with methalated spirits, and that cured it, I havn't had a single case of fogging up desipte the blower being worse than I think it should be.
My theory is that the seller somehow got some of a vinal cleaner spray onto the windscreen which left a coating that was prone to fogging.... [?]
I've never come across such extreme fogging like this before - when it was fogged, even wiping it with a rag would only make it marginally clear, it was still hazy until the weather warmed up...definately some kind of coating on the glass, but what.... [?]
Regards,
Simon
djc1960
My Cars:

Post by djc1960 »

A friend suggested pollen filter but I've not found any reference to one on my model (he's got a BMW and I assumed pollen filters were on more up market motors only) Should I have one and if so whereabouts?
Severe misting is the main result of the problem. Have tried numerous screen cleaners to no avail.
Blower is definitely working, just not much airflow, slightly more when set to outside air, virtually none on recirculated despite sounding like an F16 on reheat
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

All Xantias with aircon have a pollen filter. It lives under (above?) the carpet above the front passenger footwell. Release the carpet (3 screws, I think) and you'll find the filter housing. The bottom slides out or has screws, depending on model, and the filter's upright inside it.
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

Either you have a dirty screen, a film or deposit on the glass area, a lack of fresh air to do the job, an air distribution problem, blocked air supply, or a leaking heater matrix which is contaminating your screen with anti freeze residue.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dnsey</i>

All Xantias with aircon have a pollen filter. It lives under (above?) the carpet above the front passenger footwell. Release the carpet (3 screws, I think) and you'll find the filter housing. The bottom slides out or has screws, depending on model, and the filter's upright inside it.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Is the pollen filter cleanable or must it be replaced ?
Regards,
Simon
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Pollen filter needs replacing, it can't be cleaned.
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

If you have a/c and poor airflow, check two things:
<ul><li>The pollen filter as described. It may look clean on the side facing you (as you drop it down) but may be filthy on the reverse. If it's dirty it'll restrict airflow terribly. It's not easy to run without the filter as the casing seals in the unit. You can remove the filter element and put the casing back in. </li><li>The switch for air recirculating. With this switch set to recirculate, I always get bad fogging on the windows if the a/c isn't on. Check that you can hear the flap moving as you move the switch. </li></ul>If you don't have a/c, I doubt you'll have either of these. In this case you're looking for either a blockage or a disconnected airway.
If your fan works sometimes and not others try the ignition switch. Wriggle the key about or turn the switch off and restart the car. If the fan returns then you have the common problem of a worn/burnt switch.
Otherwise it's like any normal car, check the fan power and the brushes.
djc1960
My Cars:

Post by djc1960 »

Blimey!!!!That sure did it! Found and removed the pollen filter and yer ears pop with the blower on full.
Not surprised I had poor airflow with what was in the filter, don't think it had ever been changed.
Any reason I shouldn't run it without? Seems to seal up OK as the filter was seperate from the cover.
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

I had exactly the same problem! The bottom of my pollen filter housing blows off if I don't have an element fitted, so I stripped out the paper and replaced the plastic. Have been running like it for some time now - naughty me!
Garysz

Post by Garysz »

I washed my filter, properly dried it and it works fine. Its not just the bits of leaves that you can see its all of the particles that youcan't that blocked it up.