Heater not doing its job

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dirtydog
My Cars:

Heater not doing its job

Post by dirtydog »

Hi
I have had a look throught the old posts but havent seen anything regarding heater not warming the inside of the car, I have seen that there is a problem with the heater matrix on these cars.
My problem is that the heater isnt warming up very much and from past experience with diesels they usually warm the cabin up very quickly.
I flushed and replaced the antifreeze in August, but this is the first winter that I have had the car, the engine and radiator get hot though, any help would be appreciated.
Regards
DD
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Check the rubber pipes going to the matrix at the bulkhead are hot, if they are then the linkages that drive the flaps in the heater unit could be at fault.
If the pipes are not hot then there could be an air lock, (quite likely as you have changed the coolant), or a blocked matrix.
Dave
P.s Alan, there is no valve in the heater circuit, heat is controlled by allowing none or varying amounts of air to pass through the matrix via the flaps, the last of such valves that I saw was on a series 2 landrover, have never seen it on a modern car, they were a pain in the arse.
Edited by - Dave Burns on 20 Oct 2002 13:45:14
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Just a point; when you flushed & replaced the coolant, did you have the temp turned in the "maximum heat" position?
If not, that's where you may have created the problem.
Alan S
David Goddard
My Cars:

Post by David Goddard »

I assume you have bled the air out? On my Xantia there are four coolant bleed points, one on the radiator, one on the thermostat, one on a coolant connection pipe and finally one on the HEATER HOSE (this one is against the bulkhead and rather hidden from sight!).
dirtydog
My Cars:

Post by dirtydog »

Thanks for the help, I will try them out as soon as I have got time, I have looked for the bleed screws but can only see one near the top of the cam belt area which has three pipes going into it, my Xantia is a 93 SXTD.
Thanks
DD
lozian
My Cars:

Post by lozian »

Hi dirtydog,
Check the thermostat is working, if you haven't already done so. Temp gauge should rise comparatively quickly after initial cold start, then when thermo opens will drop back to around mid scale. This of course is surmising gauges, senders etc are working O.K. Have fun...
Why not try my website at http://www.lozian.co.uk
No Citroen stuff here, but have a look anyway. Feedback, critical or appreciative most welcome.