Could it be this ,my front brakes.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

simonelsey
My Cars:

Could it be this ,my front brakes.

Post by simonelsey »

Brief problem right front brake wearing all the time ...See previuos threads.
2 ideas to cure .
1) Wheel bearing/hub faulty , so causing this to cause hard braking on this side . AS not floating caliper will brake and stay braking on lowest point of disc (DUE to hub/bearing being out).
2) Blocked / Faulty ABS unit .Causing the right to always be on or not realising.
Caliper piston ok / frames ok .
any ideas on above welcomed
cheers
Simon
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

I would suspect a collapsed flexible brake hose, stopping the fluid from returning properly when the brake is released. Its a lot more common than you would think!!
Its easy to check, just remove the hose and blow throuh it both ways-there shoud be no resistance either way.
Another test is to brake, then spin the wheel to see if the brake is dragging- if it is you can open the bleed nipple and some trapped fluid will bleed out, easing the brake off and the wheel should spin more freely.
simonelsey
My Cars:

Post by simonelsey »

Hose tested and good but told them to replace . Sorry I have done everthink obvious. . Piston moves when brakes applied and releases ,These are the parts fitted so far in order.
1) set pads all round.(drivers side 80 per mor worn on front
2) set of discs and pads allround . Break fluid changed .drivers side 80 percent more worn(done on Hydrulic power bleed(Garge system))
3) set of pads front (drivers side 90 percent more worn)
4) Front flexi pipe replaced / new fluid, Claiper piston cleaned fully , slide bars cleaned . new pads /new discs front .
5) front pads drivers side metal / passenger side 90 per cent left . disc marginal/good so fitted new pads.
all this in 2 years perhaps just over 20,000 miles , I just need to get to the bottom of it with out replacing parts which are not needed. I have not replaced caliper as I belive caliper is ok. It has been checked by 3 different garages.
splat

Post by splat »

Maybe it's just a Citroen thing? In the time I've had my Xantia (120,000 miles) the outer pad on the front nearside has never lasted more than 12,000 miles, sometimes as little as 8000. The other pads are virtually unworn. The car drives and brakes straight, no vibration, the wheel doesn't get hot and spins just as freely as the offside. There are no signs of the pad or disc ever having overheated. Every time I change the pads I grease the caliper slide even though it seems perfectly free.
The only odd thing I've ever noticed is that the tyre on the nearside wears marginally quicker than the offside, but only marginally.
It'a a mystery.
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

Having never really worked on xantias before, im not sure if this may sound a bit amature. On the ZX there are different discs / pads, solid or vented. On my zx, someone had fitted solid discs, where vented were supposed to be fitted. The result was the pads didnt sit correctly in the calipers, and got trapped on the edge of the disc. Drives side used to bind a lot, and when taked to pieces, the pads were virtually worn out, where as the passenger side was fine. Found that it was supposed to have vented discs on, so replaced pads and discs, and brakes were fine. I dont know if there is a similar situation on the xantia, so this answer may be incorrect. Also, have you tried bleeding the brakes?
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if your handbrake cable cracking where it flexes as steering is turned,if so it may be holding brake on slightly
regards malcolm