Front Brake Pad Wear

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tonyb1
My Cars:

Front Brake Pad Wear

Post by tonyb1 »

This week the brake pad wear sensor has started to flicker and is staying on more frequently today [V] Also the braking makes a nice sqealing noise lately. I had new pads/discs 11 months ago, which have now done 20k, a lot of this has been motorway. I'm sure I should be getting a bit more out of them [?] I wonder if it's down to the sensors. Is there any way of checking if they're ok by the 'feel' of the brakes as I'm not technically minded [:I] The car still brakes as well as it did after I had them replaced. I was also wondering how much more I could get out of the brakes once the light is on. Thanks. Tony
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

The pad warning light is at best a vague indication that pads may be down close to the limit. There's only one real way to find out, and that's to have a look. anything less than a couple of mm on any of the 4 pads and it's time to change. It may be that you have a lip on the edge of one of the discs that has worn the edge of a pad away and taken the wear sensor with it. 20k is not a lot of life from a set of pads, but Xantia TDs do tend to be quite hard on front pads. However, if the discs are old and maybe scored than that can significantly reduce pad life. Might be time for a new set of discs as well?
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

If the wire going to the pad wear sensor gets out of its clip it can rub on the brake disc, gradually the insulation wears off the wire and you get the light coming on. Don't worry, because if you have that problem the wire will wear through completely and stop rubbing solving your flickering light problem. If you do have that problem its best to sort it out before the wire wears through completely, you'll need to tape it up and clip it back where it is supposed to go.
20k miles isn't a long life for brake pads, one of my Xantias did about 49k on a front set, and the other has done about 32k on the current set and they look about half worn. 20k suggests you're either heavy on the brakes or you have sticking / dragging brakes (accelarating wear) or the wire has chafed.
Dave1

Post by Dave1 »

Just for information I had a brand new pair of Ferodo pads which lit the sensor within 20 miles. Clearly they were faulty but it does go to show you can get a rogue set.
tonyb1
My Cars:

Post by tonyb1 »

It was a break in the sensor wire. Thanks Kowalski, I think the pads have another 30K in them!