Desperate help needed.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

copthis1

Desperate help needed.

Post by copthis1 »

I have just replaced the front spheres on my 1995 1.8 16v Xantia and all is not well.
Firstly, I dropped the suspension and released pressure from the small bolt near the accumulator sphere.
Secondly, I removed the old spheres then replaced with new ones.
Lastly I started the engine and attempted to raise the suspension to full height, only to find that it does not budge an inch and I have no brakes.
As may be apparent, I am not a mechanic and need a solution to my prob.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Your system should pressurise automatically. Make sure the release screw is tightened. Put the lever to the highest position. Let the engine tick over for a while. If after a time it still doesn't move, release the pressure screw, drop the suspension and disconnect the high pressure hose from the reservoir and pour in some LHM with a funnel and start the engine. Reconnect the hose as soon as the fluid level falls. Loosen and tighten the pressure release screw a few times to bleed the air. Move the height lever to high. All the best!
copthis1

Post by copthis1 »

Thanks for reply, but i'm lost. If I undo the screw first and drop the suspension will all my fluid pop out and what one is the high pressure hose. I thought this would be so easy.
As there was not a prob before do you think this is just a small but curable glitch?
************Getting a headache****************
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

You should only undo the bleed screw on the regulator by 1 1/2 turns and bleeding the system should not involve any fluid loss at all. Generally to bleed simply undo the bolt and let the enginge run for a few minutes, after which tighten the bolt and try to raise the car.
I find on my BX and another that I can get the car to raise and pressureise properly if I turn the steering hard to one side - not necessarily moving the tyres - just keeping the load on it seems to make the regulator respond and the pressure builds up quickly. If anyone can give me a proper explanation why this happens I would like to know.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

The high pressure hose is the thick one which runs from the reservoir to the pump. When you release the pressure screw, only air will come out. Unless, of course you remove the screw altogether - then you'll loose a spring and a ball - Don't do it!
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Just answered a similar problem on a BX board.
May be some help.
http://members4.boardhost.com/citroen_bx/msg/22226.html
Alan S
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Simply replacing the sphere's does not cause air to be drawn into the pump, unless yo have allowed the LHM level to drop too low in the reservoir, this can happen if you remove totaly flat sphere's full of oil and the fit good ones full of nitrogen, but even then the level would need to be low to start with.
All should have been ok, pump should still have been full of oil, I suspect you removed the pressure release screw and lost the sealing ball.
I think John D is refering to the suction pipe between the reservoir and the pump, there are no high pressure hoses going to the reservoir, just the suction and operational returns, though if any of these were restricted, pressure would soon build up and burst them or blow them off, the only high pressure rubber pipe (apart from the flexible brake hoses) is in the power steering circuit, where its used to go from engine to body thus absorbing engine movement, you will see that this pipe is not of a pre-formed shape, it is not possible to manufacture such a shaped rubber pipe to carry any appreciable amount of pressure.
Jeremy, your BX isn't getting any younger, it is therefore reasonable to assume that the hydraulic system on your car is not in the same pristine condition as it was when new.
This means that the hydraulic system now wastes more oil pressure past worn valve's, piston's and the like.
In the BX and early Xantia where a flow distributor is used to share the high pressure LHM between the suspension/brakes and power steering, the pump idle circuit is routed through the power steering pinion valve via the flow distributor.
As you turn the steering wheel, the ports in the pinion valve close the idle return and align them selves to direct the incoming oil to one or other side of the steering ram depending on which way the steering wheel is turned.
This results in a much higher volume of oil being delivered through the rest of the system as it now can't get through the pinion valve and be wasted back to the reservoir, this could mean your flow distributor valves are weak or sticking or that the general system is in a high state of wear.
Dave
copthis1

Post by copthis1 »

How much fluid does the xantia need and when you take the lid off the reservoir with the car at it's lowest, how much fluid should appear in the reservoir ie: half full etc
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

The fluid level is checked with the suspension at maximum height, then the float should rest between the two rings on the indicator glass.
You as we know can't check this at the moment as your car will not rise, stick your finger in the filler neck and you should be able to touch the fluid as a rough guide.
Are you any closer to getting it sorted, did you completely remove the pressure release screw, or did you just loosen it.
Dave
copthis1

Post by copthis1 »

I removed it completely.
Would the first thing to do be to start the car , leave setting in low and undo the release screw two turns?
handman

Post by handman »

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
I removed it completely.
Would the first thing to do be to start the car , leave setting in low and undo the release screw two turns?

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>as it was said early on, "one and a half turns only". and yes the enging must be running, and its the gold ring that should be in the center of the glass not the red one
have a nice day you all
allmond
My Cars:

Post by allmond »

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
I removed it completely.
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>
If you removed it completely, did the bits fall out, and if so did you retrieve them and put them back? A spring and a ball bearing if my memory serves me right.
Jamie
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

I think it's pretty obvious that the ball has gone missing if you tightened the screw again and still nothing happens.
Try the power steering, if there is power assistance there then the pump is fully primed and working, this would nail the culprit as being the lost sealing ball.
Your option's then would be to purchase a comlpete new regulator, very expensive, or go to a scrappy armed with a 12mm ring spanner and find a BX with the lump still in and do the same to that, this time though catch the bits that fly fall out, I say BX as you are unlikely to find a Xantia on the heap with the lump still in.
Tell us what you find with the steering.....
Dave
copthis1

Post by copthis1 »

I am fairly sure nothing popped out...........is this poss
copthis1

Post by copthis1 »

PROBLEM SOLVED AT LAST..........THANKS FOR ADVICE