Xantia remote locking gremlin.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

harryb.48
My Cars:

Xantia remote locking gremlin.

Post by harryb.48 »

Life`s interesting with a Xantia ,to say the least.[:(!]
The latest fault,and I`ve had a few,is that the central locking will work on it`s own while driving along ,or when I use the plip it will lock/unlock several times before it settles down,only to go to random mode on the road.It even locks when I`ve left the car (luckily with the keys in my pocket!)-I`ve heard it when I`m about 20 yards away.
With my last car this usually meant that one of the lock buttons was sticking ,or some other mechanical interference with locking components,so far I can see nothing.[V]
The only unusual (?) signs I have is a kind of after -pulse when locking the doors,but not when unlocking,-and one of the rear door`s locking button seems to stay connected to the solenoid whereas the other doesn`t.
Any ideas before I start stripping the doors etc[?]
PS forgot to say it`s a `96 1.8 petrol estate
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

That rear door seems to be the problem as it is acting different to the rest. Worth starting there? Have you seen the reference to the ECU on another post this past couple of days? Can you let us know the outcome please?
harryb.48
My Cars:

Post by harryb.48 »

The problem "went away" this afternoon,and then I also remembered that the last time I used the car - last week thursday-I had lubricated the locks,door hinges etc and used some silicone spray on the locks and methinks this may have caused the problem if it had penetrated the solenoids/electrics.
I hope so anyway!
Will let you know John if I find it is something else - yes I have just seen that post you were talking about.
Regards
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Hi Harryb.48,
I had the same problem with my Xantia. The back doors are not at fault, they don't have a sensor in them, where as the front door locks do. When it happens again (it will), try locking the door with the key. If it unlocks after using the key on the drivers side, it is the passenger side lock at fault, or vice versa. Mine was on the passengers side. I just removed the bar (the one that goes to the interior lock button) and plastic fitting that holds it in place. The car locks perfectly now. Easy job and saves a lot of frustration too.
Paul
harryb.48
My Cars:

Post by harryb.48 »

Hi Paul
Thanks for the advice - the problem is still in hiding ,and yes,I expect it will come back (unless I was right about being a bit heavy on the lub. spray[:I]
Unfortunately,the key(s) will not operate the locks and haven`t done for some time - looks like they don`t even fit and the previous owner said he never used them in 6 years[:(]
So presuming the fault returns,what could I then try? It hasn`t really worried me as I owned a 405 for nine years without ever using the key (locks were busted by a would-be thief).Should I start to worry as ,if I understand you correctly,your fix reverts to using the key?
Having read it again I think you are saying the remote worked after the fix?[:I]
Regards
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

The fix is only to test the locking mechanism.
You may be able to test it by pressing the internal button on either door, it will still 'bounce' back unlocked. I think it will be on the passenger side where the problem lies though.
Paul