BX intermediate bearing

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Will2cv
My Cars:

BX intermediate bearing

Post by Will2cv »

Hi everyone.
Just a quick question regarding the removal of the driveshaft intermediate bearing on my bx (TZD turbo), as it's been rumbling like a good 'un and it is on the list of things to do during the clutch change. The bearing came out attached to the shaft pretty easily. There appears to be a 'collar', like a ring around the driveshaft on the gearbox side of the bearing though which presumably must be removed in order to slide the bearing off the shaft? I've had a go at getting it to shift but with no avail. Do I need a special tool or puller?
Thanks for any advice
Will
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Either cut it off with a hack saw or drill a hole in it and put a cold chisel through it where the hole is. The bearing should come with a new one which will go on much more easily if you heat it first.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Just did this yesterday on my TRD turbo.
The bearing had been replaced before and the ring re-used. Ring was then a quite loose fit [;)]
The bearing itself I levered out from the inner trijoint cup using a pair of crowbars.
There is a special puller (2 combined tools) that may prove interesting - as you can in fact replace the 2 pulling bolts with long threaded rods :
Will be available f.i. from Franklin tools over your ways.
Will2cv
My Cars:

Post by Will2cv »

Thanks for the info. Peter - I did not get a replacement ring with the new bearing so I'd better not chop anything off yet! I'll have a look for a puller as you describe, Anders. Just out of interest, what does the ring actually do? Looking at how the bearing sits in the carrier the ring doesn't seem to come into contact with anything or hold anything in place. Is it a balancer or something? [?]
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The ring fixates the bearing on the axle. Otherwise the axle may move outwards (from diff thru the bearing) over time and minimize the lateral free play of the axle.
If it ever happens you will be alarmed by a rather nasty heavy knocking from the CV joint, when retuning from a curve to straight ahead driving. Its about the opposite from the wellknown shot CV joint symptom.
Tried it in my CX as I left the bearing with no L-head retaining bolts - as the bearing was stuck for good in the housing - untill one day it no longer was ...