Duel cooling fan

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sleepy0905

Duel cooling fan

Post by sleepy0905 »

Hi can anyone help, how easy is it to fit duel cooling fans on a bx and what parts are needed? [:p] Needed for towing[:D]
mpr1956
My Cars:

Post by mpr1956 »

Hi there, I seem to remember that in the back of the haynes, there were details on fitting a second fan including how and where to fit the extra relay and wiring... The book also mentions a kit being available from "your local citroen dealer" but I don't suppose that would be available now.. ( I presume you have a diesel ?) Martin
sleepy0905

Post by sleepy0905 »

Thanks I will check that out and sorry yes it is a diesel
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

if its similar to the ZX its really easy, all you do is remove the fans (x2) loom with thermostat and connect it up to the same points as the single fan & thermostat points.
sleepy0905

Post by sleepy0905 »

thanks i will look into that and see
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by sleepy0905</i>

Hi can anyone help, how easy is it to fit duel cooling fans on a bx and what parts are needed? [:p] Needed for towing[:D]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Pistols at dawn, six paces back? [}:)]
The diesel BX has a dual fan already present; all the wiring is there.
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

BANG
it doesn't always have all the wiring there. Only the top end TURBO's do!
otherwise you need a very clever add on wiring loom which is very very clever and i have one! It does indeed include the extra relays and works the same as the dual fan loom i pulled from a 309 turbo diesel and is the same as a 405 turbo diesel twin fan loom, on both of these cars they are totally seperate from the main loom with an extra 30amp fuse, making them great BX add on's.
i now have two of these add on looms (a 309 one and a BXone) and i have to say i couldn't do better, and on a number of occasions i have tried and succeeded just not as well! Will try dig out the part number when im next in the parts department [;)]
Wookey
(Donor 2019)
My Cars: Peugeot Expert 1.9D (Camper conversion) (2003-now)

Post by Wookey »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by vanny</i>
otherwise you need a very clever add on wiring loom which is very very clever and i have one! It does indeed include the extra relays and works the same as the dual fan loom i pulled from a 309 turbo diesel and is the same as a 405 turbo diesel twin fan loom,
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Is this the same wierd scheme they have on the C15 where the fans are run in parallel on full speed and in series for slow speed, which involves some funky relay wiring and a 3-pin switch in the radiator to set the speeds?
I remember once spending an entire day in a field in Spain trying to work out how the hell it was supposed to work.
In fact there's the pic I took at the time near the bottom of this page: http://wookware.org/diy.html