still same problems brakes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

simonelsey
My Cars:

still same problems brakes

Post by simonelsey »

Ive stil got same problems with my brakes on the xsara hdi estate 2000 model . Pads on drivers front wearing quicker then rest of car.
Last pad changed ,8000 miles , and now pads on this side are very low again.
Last pad changed, I changed discs , cleaned and grease slide bars . fitted new pads . braking ok , no pulling to one side .(has lucas calipers)
I have noticed that this wheel seems to be getting very hot compared to passenger side . Also Caliper pistion seemed a bit harder to retract . Its passed mots with flying colours .
What do you think is causing this .
Should I change the caliper and frame and hose .It just seems the pads are very slightly rubbing on the disc.
How much would/should this cost me.(At a normal garage not a stealer)
Please help as I thinking about getting rid of the car as this is starting to be a bit of a pain. (everythink else Im pleased with)
many regards
Simon
Simon H
My Cars:

Post by Simon H »

Hello Simon
8000 miles does seem a little excessive for a family car, but not knowing whether you live in a hilly area or drive ' on the brakes' it is difficult to say with any certainty. A very hot wheel does seem to indicate that a calliper is sticking on, try a run with a stretch of road where not much braking is required and pull over. If the wheel is too hot to touch then your calliper is most likely at fault, if it is warm then it is most likely Ok. I have found that the Bendix style callipers which slide are prone to sticking on, for instance I know when this has happened on my Zx because it starts makes a creaking noise! The solution is to remove the piston seal and pump (carefully) the piston in and partially out a couple of times, clean the piston and seal using brake fluid, copaslip the sliding bits and this usually solves it for me. By the way modern motorcycle brakes are even worse because they usually are not fitted with exterior piston seals, my Bandit brakes need stripping cleaning twice a year :(
Hope this helps
Regards
Simon H
ZX1.4i Elation
Suzuki 600 Bandit
MZTS250/1
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by simonelsey</i>

Ive stil got same problems with my brakes on the xsara hdi estate 2000 model . Pads on drivers front wearing quicker then rest of car.
Last pad changed ,8000 miles , and now pads on this side are very low again.
Last pad changed, I changed discs , cleaned and grease slide bars . fitted new pads . braking ok , no pulling to one side .
I have noticed that this wheel seems to be getting very hot compared to passenger side . Also Caliper pistion seemed a bit harder to retract . Its passed mots with flying colours .
What do you think is causing this .
Should I change the caliper and frame and hose .It just seems the pads are very slightly rubbing on the disc.
How much would/should this cost me.(At a normal garage not a stealer)
Please help as I thinking about getting rid of the car as this is starting to be a bit of a pain. (everythink else Im pleased with)
many regards
Simon
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
simonelsey
My Cars:

Post by simonelsey »

cheers simon ,Ive given up cleaning it as had had done above on last pad fitting, Im going to bite the bullet and get the caliper replaced , Im more wondering about the cost. Would you say 100 quid for parts , eg caliper and pads , How long should it take to fit , About 1 hour , 30 minutes to bleed the system?? say 50 pound labour.Or will it cost more??
cheers
Simon
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

A new caliper is likely to be more than that, I'd guess. Call a brake and clutch stockist and then a Citroen breaker for the best deal. I reckon that you would have about an hour's work there.
I'd be inclined to bleed the brakes first, the air trapped in a caliper can push the pad into constant contact with the disc, accelerating pad wear. Don't forget the flexible pipe, either. I have known them to deteriorate internally and act like a non return valve but it is a very rare occurrence. It may be worth finding out if a seal kit is available form Citroen, (This is usually the case,) then the caliper may be stripped, rebuilt and saved
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

I think you have a faulty hose- they collapse internally. This happened to me on a 205, and the way to check it is to remove the flexible hose and blow through it both ways. There should be no resistance either way.
I disagree about it being a rare occurence, Tom!! I think it happens a lot due to poor clamping of the hose (and who hasn't used a mole wrench......[:I]) I have seen it a lot more recently than it used to happen- I never came across it 20 years ago but I have seen it a few times recently- it may be due to the construction and material of modern hoses.
Its a lot cheaper to replace than the caliper!!!!
madasafish

Post by madasafish »

Agree try felxibles first. I had one set collapse on a Fiesta using the correct clamping tool (NOT a Mole wrench!)
Cheap'n easy
simonelsey
My Cars:

Post by simonelsey »

cheers all .
I think I think I shall get it booked it to garage and get them to replace hose and pads and check caliper ,and see how long pads last . If not cured will then go for caliper.
Shall let you all now.
regards
simon
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Caliper is £50 + Vat from GSF. Hose is £10 + VAT. Know which I'd be trying first!