LHM Leak from rear strut area

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

adamskibx
My Cars:

LHM Leak from rear strut area

Post by adamskibx »

Just noticed a leak from the right side rear suspention area which is almost certainly a return pipe as fluid gushes out when the suspention is lowered- Im thinking it may be that a pipe has come loose from a connector as there are a few open ended pipes that dont seem to go anywhere- does anyone know what pipes should lead to what- return pipe wise, I can see a clear one and a black one coming out of the rubber surrounding the strut, the black one goes into a small hole where the arm joins on and can be pulled out of here with ease-ie it doesnt appear to lead anywhere. The clear one goes to one part of a T junction-the other side of this T junction isnt connected to anything-ie there are only two pipes going into a T and there should surely be three? Trouble is, the problem is on top of the suspention arm/arm holding pole thing and I cant see any other pipes or junctiomns etc. Was hoping someone might know about all these pipes and could point me in the right direction:-) Cheers, Adam
adamskibx
My Cars:

Post by adamskibx »

Sorry-forgot to say its a BX
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the two plastic pipes which come from rubber boot on susp/unit at the rear of a BX one just pockes into rear sub frame which is a vent.the other is a trickle return which colects any seepage that gets past ram seals,what usuly causes seriouse leekage from that area is either main metal feed pipe or the ram body has coroded through where it sits in sub frame,in wich case you will need to replace the ram,if you do it payes to have a new feed pipe handy just in case
regards malcolm
adamskibx
My Cars:

Post by adamskibx »

Thanks for that Malcolm, but luckily I found out it was the return pipe in the end- The T junction has got old and loose so a pipe going to the reservoir at the front of the car had disconnected- just zip tied it all to stop it coming off again.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if its the three way union with plastic pipes going to it which sits on top of front sub frame behind battery,this is about 7 squid from cit dealeregards malcolm
adamskibx
My Cars:

Post by adamskibx »

No it was the three way plastic/rubber union on top of the rear subframe- think the return from the left side stut goes into it, and the return from the right side rear strut goes into the right side, and then a clear tube carries the fluid along under the right side sill to the reservoir. The zip tie seems to do a good job too as its stopped leaking now.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

that should be fine as it is only a trickle return meant to colect any susp/unit seapage that gets past ram seals
regards malcolm