405 clutch noise ?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ayden
My Cars:

405 clutch noise ?

Post by ayden »

Got home last nite and noticed and unfamiliar sound someing from the engine when the clutch pedal is depressed its sounds like a hissing sound ? on further investigation today i noticed that 1 bolt holding the bell housing to the engine was nearly all the way out and a very small patch of clear funny smelling liquid dripping from underneath the sound has only started since last nite as i very rarely drive with any music so i woulda heard it im hoping its not to serious as im pretty broke at the mo.
thanks
Ayden
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

A hissing sound is usually a bearing breaking up. In this case, if it only happens when the clutch is pressed, it could well be the release bearing. They do sometimes continue to work like this for a fair while though.
The clear funny smelling liquid is probably gear oil, which if someone has put EP or similar oil in the box, does smell fairly horrid. If the engine to gearbox bolts are loose, then I worry that there has been misalignment between the engine and box, the gearbox input shaft seal is now knackered, and the release bearing has had it.
Have you checked and done up all the engine to gearbox bolts? and if so does it still leak?
ayden
My Cars:

Post by ayden »

its all better now after tightening up the loose bolts i can safely say that the noise has gona and so has the leak believe it or not most of the bolts were loose and im suprised that no more damage was done !! thanks for the advice
Ayden
hill

Post by hill »

Just a slight concern. You may have stopped oil leaking from the bell-housing by tightening up the bolts but it will still be leaking from the seal and filling your bell housing up with oil!! Your clutch won't work too well when that happens. You do need to deal with the actual problem.
You're a Land Rover owner FAF - you should know all about oil leaks and the lovely smell of EP90 in the mornings.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

The stink of EP90 after a long journey in a Landrover is enough to turn my stomach sometimes. I am looking to see if there's a replacement modern synthetic gear oil which is not EP.
and yes, I have my fair share of oil leaks! [:D]
On most car engine/gearbox assemblies, it's not actually possible to fill the bellhousing up with oil, as they are open to the elements at the bottom with just a piece of pressed steel as a dirt shield (which is often missing actually)
If the gearbox is still leaking oil, it will probably show up as a leak from the bellhousing, but as hill says, will contaminate the clutch very badly on the way, and it will slip like a goodun. The only fix for this is gearbox off, new clutch and new oil seal.
ayden
My Cars:

Post by ayden »

Thats what i fear at this moment in time i have a feeling i might have to change the clutch anyways as pulling away in 1st seems to make the car vibrate very badly and from what ive heard from people this has somthing to do with the clutch but being my age (17) im not confident in doing it myself and i cant afford high garage prices !
thanks
Ayden