Would it be a swine to change dash bulbs?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mattpc

Would it be a swine to change dash bulbs?

Post by mattpc »

Why new Xantia (like my old one) suffers from not having enough bulbs lit up on the dash so that at night some of the dials don't light up/ are faded. Would it cost a fortune to get an auto electrician to rectify this? I don't fancy pulling the dash apart myself.[:(]
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

What is a fortune by your definition ?
There are jobs best left to the bodgers - where you pay and have the warranty [8D]
mattpc

Post by mattpc »

Well I don't want to spend more than £100 really because it's only for my vanity. Many places in the UK seem to charge £30 p/h labour 30 x7 which is £210 for a full days labour!
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mattpc</i>

Well I don't want to spend more than £100 really because it's only for my vanity.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
It is nice to be able to see what speed you're doing at night, or how much fuel you have left. [:0]
Phone around and get the job priced. Dunno how much a Xantia would cost. I had it done on my last ZX pretty cheaply, but that dash is a whole different kettle of fish. If you don't want to fork out too much for someone to sort it, spend 15 quid on a Haynes and see if you're up to having a go. [;)]
mattpc

Post by mattpc »

I've got the Haynes and to be honest I don't think I am! I can see the fuel and speed but the rev counter is going...
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

What part of the country are you in? Somebody will surely be able to recommend a good Citroen man (or woman) to you...
D.Slatford
My Cars:

Post by D.Slatford »

It's really not that too hard a job. The whole dash doesn't come out to replace instrument panel bulbs. Remove the steering wheel cover (two torx screws behind it, turn wheel each way to locate them), unplug airbag (make sure battery disconnected for a few minutes before hand), remove wheel, then you have access to facia surround screws, and finally instrument panel screws. That's how simple it was from memory when I did this a couple of years ago, the Haynes manual is actually quite helpfull too!
Rostami
My Cars:

Post by Rostami »

D.Slatford,
Does your description apply to all Xantias (MK1 and MK2)?
zzf00l
My Cars:

Post by zzf00l »

I heard somewhere that the MK2 Xantia has non replaceable bulbs...a new panel is required, don't know how accurate that info is but I think it is worth checking before stripping the dash to bits!!!
Ian
Sir Clive

Post by Sir Clive »

Given the difficulty in changing dash bulbs, I'd be inclined to fit some of those everlasting LED ones. I only wish they'd been about when I was running the turbodiesel Visa, or the BX, when the dash lamps are lit all the time the ignition is switched on.
On cars equipped with a dimmer for the dash lamps, I find that turning it it down to about halfway still gives more than enough light to see the instruments, and will give hugely increased bulb life.
Regards
Philip
D.Slatford
My Cars:

Post by D.Slatford »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Does your description apply to all Xantias (MK1 and MK2)?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Pass - I presume the MKII Xantia was the late face-lifted model? I get confused between models - there was the early ones with the badge on the bonet, the revised models with the badge on the grille and slightly different interior which I've always owned, then revised again (around 1998/1999ish?) with sleeker front, sleeker interior, colour bumpers.
mattpc

Post by mattpc »

Yes, By Mark II I mean the one with the different shaped front end.
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

I agree it is not a difficult job, just done one on a 1995 Xantia. I have a number of bulbs you can have for a small donation to a charity and the post. You can test them quite easily by pushing in the connectors without fully fitting the dash binnacle.
basil40

Post by basil40 »

I replaced all my dashboard lights - you have to replace all of them ! - be very very careful not to damage the plastic trim around the steering column. You don't need to take the steering wheel off. Gently does it all the way, the Haynes is quite useful, but doesn't tell you where all the screws are. Try to get a short stubby torx if you can to remove screws holding upper steering wheel trim console. Check that all lights work BEFORE you put everything back into position and don't be tempted to disconnect the mileometer!
mattpc

Post by mattpc »

How many of these bulbs am I likely to need and do I still need to disconnect the airbag if I am not removing the steering wheel?