xantia buying guid

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mijyou
My Cars:

xantia buying guid

Post by mijyou »

My mate is looking to buy a xantia diesel. Anyone got a guide on what to look out for.
Thanks jim
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

http://www.woollard.com.btinternet.co.uk/index.htm
Everything you never wanted to know, but were to ashamed to ask!
mattpc

Post by mattpc »

The main one is heater matrix. If the passenger footwell carpet is wet then walk away and don't listen to the sellers excuses. Also, check the coolant filler cap for signs of gunk. This often indicates that something has been added to the coolant to bung up leaks which is not desirable. Unfortunately most Xantias that are for sale seem to have rubbish, shot spheres. These are not expensive to replace if you go to the right people or do it yourself but cost £150-£250 in for these including labour.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Anything over 100k check for head gasket leakage, look for signs of water having been blown out of the filler, dip your finger in and taste the water to see if it has antifreeze, should be sweet, if not could be that its been blowing water out. Check that water is at correct level then go for a short run, SLOWLY an CAREFULLY remove filler cap, there should be a small ammount of pressure but it shouldn't blow water out.
madasafish

Post by madasafish »

Much more simple. Dip a piece of white paper into the LHM reservoir. If it's bright green, it has been serviced, so look for other faults.
If it's brown/dark green or any other colour, it has been neglected so reject car at once.
I use that as a go/no go test saves a lot of time.
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

Nice one Martyhopkirk, I have added that to my favourites. After having read the superb post (Woollard) it would be amazing if anyone ended up buying one! Only advice I have given on this is that unless you are able to do many jobs yourself it would not be economical to own one considering probable repairs.
mijyou
My Cars:

Post by mijyou »

Great posts.
Thanks