Xantia HDI Bottom Pulley

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mattpc

Xantia HDI Bottom Pulley

Post by mattpc »

Well I bought the HDI 110 SX. It's on 135K with FSH (then maintained by Richard Dalton Citoen Independent since 74K). The most recent service at 125k he has put "ADVISE BOTTOM PULLEY". I am wondering what the problem could be here. From the receipts it does not appear any work has been done after this advise was given. The cambelt was done at 100k. Ideas anybody please?
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

the bottom crankshaft pulley was/is likely rattling.it makes a rattling noise that sounds like a top end noise that increases with engine speed.
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

As far as I know, the pulley is a steel and rubber sandwich that delaminates over time.
The final outcome is damage to the cam belt and you know what that means.
Mine was renewed, by the last owner, at 90000 miles
mattpc

Post by mattpc »

mm that's why I'm enquiring.. Will probably get the local garage to check it out. Actually I might try to have a look myself tomorrow depending on if I'm feeling adventurus or not..[8D]
madasafish

Post by madasafish »

new on ebay £75 iirc
mattpc

Post by mattpc »

Are these any of the following?
PN Description Fitment Price() Basket
98779 CAM PULLEY TOOL SET GENERAL USE 46.50 Add
N13165 TIMING BELT IDLER PULLEY XANTIA 1.8 16V/2.016V 9/95>/2.1TD 16.50 Add
N13183 TIMING BELT IDLER PULLEY XANTIA 1.9TD 26.50 Add
N13189C TIMING BELT IDLER PULLEY XANTIA 1.9D/TD 16.00 Add
N02300 CRANKSHAFT PULLEY XANTIA HDI 79.00 Add
N02301 CRANKSH PULLEY XANTIA 2.0 HDi 58.00 Add
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

Citroen only list one pulley for the HDi @ £144
So I guess N02300 is genuine and N02301 is pattern.
mattpc

Post by mattpc »

In the real world is it going to make any difference whether I use the original or not because that looks like quite a good saving...
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

As I say it's only a guess.
Have a word with your nearest GSF
meexi
My Cars:

Post by meexi »

Hi mines went last month costs all in £220 it wont damage your cam but if it goes you have no power to battery no power steering and eventuly no suspension or brakes get it changed before it goes
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by meexi</i>

Hi mines went last month costs all in £220 it wont damage your cam but if it goes you have no power to battery no power steering and eventuly no suspension or brakes get it changed before it goes
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I think they can cause damage as they fly off though - you wouldnt want one of those going through the rad' - they are fairly weighty.
I got mine from GSF for my HDi- tried fitting it myself but working on the ground couldnt get enough force behind to get the pulley bolt off so had to take it in somewhere.Charged me £20 which I was happy with!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I had one go on my XM, suddenly lost power steering and all the lights came on, what I had forgotten, when I moved it later, was that I had also lost the brakes! The rubber on most of them looks a bit perished, but on four XMs I have only had one fail, it made a bit of a clatter but fortunatly didn't damage anything.
Roscoe
My Cars:

Post by Roscoe »

I had one go on my 16V - started squealing and that was the only indication I had. Checked it out and the rubber was perished - didn't have time to get it rebuilt so got a new one..can't remember how much I got ripped off for though...some things are best forgotten.
On that nate, my TZD doesn't have the rubber-damped crank pulley - only a solid steel one that is fairly light - is that normal or has it been swapped at some time in the past (I've had it since '94 and it's a '91 model, so wouldn't think so?
sdabel
My Cars:

Post by sdabel »

I had the harmonic pulley on my 19965 2.1 XM TD go. It took out part of the timing belt cover and some of it must have got under the timing belt because after wards the timing belt was out a notch! I was damm lucky to escape without valve damage.
Car runs better than ever now with the new one.
regards
sean
mattpc

Post by mattpc »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by drpau</i>

[quote]<i>Originally posted by meexi</i>

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
£220 seems expensive considering the part appears to be available from gsf at £58+ VAT Is it a long job? Did you go to the main dealer?