BX - number of wipe cycles decreased after wash

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

czenda
My Cars:

BX - number of wipe cycles decreased after wash

Post by czenda »

From the moment I bought the car, I was always immensely upset by the 4-cycle swiping after applying washer even for the shortest possible time. The wiper was only screeching on already-dry windshield while doing the last 2 cycles.
To cut the story short, the action is controlled by blue module located on the fuse box (brand is Cartier, looks similar to a relay).
All one needs to do to decrease the number of cycles from 4 to 2 is to remove the cover from the module and to replace the 130 kiloohm resistor with 50 kiloohm resistor. There are more of them, but only one has 130 kiloohms.
ItDontGo
My Cars:

Post by ItDontGo »

Or you could get rid of your uneconomical, planet killing, big, bulky sh_t box and buy an AX which doesn't operate the wipers automatically when you squirt.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ItDontGo</i>

Or you could get rid of your uneconomical, planet killing, big, bulky sh_t box
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Said by someone who owns a BX themselves?
born2die
My Cars:

Post by born2die »

I think he must be a bit sore because 'it don't go' lol
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Any thoughts whether this could also be the same thing for the ZX, Im currently getting a wee bit irritated with it at the moment
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Czenda, that's a really good tip. I'll be doing that to mine. Thanks.
Re Itdon'tgo's comments, sources close to the leadership of the paramilitary wing of bxclub will be having a few words behind the bike sheds.
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

not only is it a usefull bit of information, but also explains why my old BX would cahnge between two and three wipes before cutting out, i suspect that the relay module thing might have been on the way out! As an aside, both my BX's have under normal circumstances done three sweeps before shutting down!
Now all we need is a way to delay the initial squirting of the rear window so that you can wipe them without squirting enough to dribble for hours no matter how fine a touch on the rear wash/wipe button is made (BX owners will undoubtedly know what i mean)!
While the BX is certainly rather boxey both in appareance and internal capacity (pandora's box), and mine has been known to tow a trailer of horse manure it certainly can not be described as a rubbish box, nor planet killing (light weight materials and longevity prove that) and at 60+mpgh out of mine i wouldn't call it uneconomical remembering that was fully loaded and towing (even the 72mpg of the 1.5d AX suffers massively with two people in it, let alone towing! I think the problem here might be that its simply too complicated for some people to try and fix themselves (he he yeah right)!
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Damn' right!
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ItDontGo</i>

Or you could get rid of your uneconomical, planet killing, big, bulky sh_t box
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Wow. If that's your view of a BX I bet you have a coronary when someone comes up behind you in something like an C8.
Better watch out, those AXs are a dying breed.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Malign a BX in these pages would you...............in favour of..........An AX! words fail me.[:D]
Stewart
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Or you could get rid of your uneconomical, planet killing, big, bulky sh_t box and buy an AX which doesn't operate the wipers automatically when you squirt.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">[:0][:0][:0]
Having owned both - I would prefer the BX - TZD did acomplish 60mpg, Ran on SVO thus cuting out harmful addition to the carbon cycle and even now is being recylcled to minimise its impact on the enviroment.
The AX was a shed, wouldnt run on SVO and even now is being given a blow over by a trader hell bent on letting it foul up the enviroment fop even longer, when really it should have been put out of its misery.
Useful tip regarding the wipers - will see if this works on my ZX and Xantia.
czenda
My Cars:

Post by czenda »

I believe the system will be very similar on most of the cars equipped with this "afterwash-wiping" feature.
The point is that there is an integrated circuit in the module, and it may be different to that installed in BX.
In BX, the IC is Telefunken U642B. A pdf file with typical circuit is available e.g. at www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/prod_documents/doc4774.pdf.
The resistor in question is connected to pin 4 of this IC. Note that the table present in the file is incorrect - increasing the value of R(time) resistor makes the afterwash wiping longer [:(!].
Knowing the type of IC installed, I think this can be done on any car.
Well, and as far as AX is concerned...
I have good reasons for having a BX. Yesterday my wife, sister-in-law, daughter and 2 nieces used it to go for a trip. I do not think AX would be able to carry 2 children seats plus one toddler bucket on its rear seat, plus baby carriage and a few bags in the trunk (not to mention a beagle who slept under the rear seats).
This is a typical example of how my BX is and will be used until meeting furnaces of Beijing Steelworks [:D][:D][:D]
ItDontGo
My Cars:

Post by ItDontGo »

That comment was made slightly in jest my friends. No need to get too heated now!
My point was more to do with the fact that the simpler AX wipers, whereby you operate the washer manually, is better for the reasons mentioned in the original post.
In fact in many ways the simpler AX could be argued to be better than the BX depending on what you think is important in a motor. It is better on fuel and has less to go wrong for example.
I wasn't really having a go at BXs although their luxury feature of automatically controlling the washer is more of a hinderence than a help when compared to the peasent Citroen's system. I think this applies to a lot of things on cars such as PAS and power brakes. For example, the steering on my AX works nicer than on my mum's Xsara in my opinion.
ItDontGo
My Cars:

Post by ItDontGo »

I could have said that entire post in one sentence:
Simple cars are often more user-friendly than luxury cars if less appealing.
yangreen

Post by yangreen »

My Pug 306 always used to irritate me with it's over-eager wiping cycle. Got rid though so the info is a bit late but still useful should I develop a modern PSA group type desire once more.
As for AXs not bothering with such things, on my girlie's AX, the rear wiper does have the wipe sequence but, as mentioned, not at the front!
Personally, I think electrically pumped screenwash is OTT. The 2cv has a dash mounted squeegee which does the job just fine!
But, to get back on topic, the biggest problem with programmed wash-wipe is when you've run out of screenwash or it's frozen solid. Then the wipers just start smearing filth all over the place and you can't stop it! Gah!