Installing electric windows on a ZX

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citroenzx
My Cars:

Installing electric windows on a ZX

Post by citroenzx »

I've been able to get hold of the full assemblies for electric windows from another ZX but was wondering how easy it will be to remove the current winding mechanism to put the electic ones in?? there is a spare plug rattling around insude my door so i'm assuming that its for the window motor. Any ideas? Anyone done it?
Cheers
j_roc

Post by j_roc »

It all depends on what model you have got, but I cant be to sure On Citroen though. I will explain - A few years ago Ford's line-up was Base, L, Gl, Ghia, Ultima/Scorpio. You would have 2 different wiring looms - 1 loom for the Base and l, and another loom for Gl, Ghia and Ultima/Scorpio. The reason the looms are different is that base models are not meant to have electric windows/cent locking/rev counter etc, etc as standard or optional equipment. This gear is reserved for more plush trim levels. For example you could have front elec windows in a Gl for £250 more but they were standard equipment on the Ghia - as the wiring is in the door on the GL (remember it has the full wiring loom) but if you dont tick it on the options box its left plugged up without a motor (sounds like yours).
Citroen may well have one loom and then fill the blanking plugs with goodies the further up the price list you go??? Or it could be the same as above. As for removing the window winder they are usually held in by rivets. Sorry I cant be more help, but somebody will be able to help you more on the "crazy" world of Citroen's [:)]
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Arh spare thing rattaling away in the door, this sounds familliar, ive got e/w but i also had the extra bit that rattled (forgot to secure it again after we did some work on the door side motor and locks, though this appeared to be for the optional alarm that i doesnt come with the Temptation model, so this spare rattler could be for the e/w or for an alarm, unless it can be used for two different purposes
citroenzx
My Cars:

Post by citroenzx »

humm ok, will have to get out the wiring diagrams! i had previously secured the plug with a large bit of tape but i'm obviously closing the door too hard.
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

I, as you know have a elation, it just so happens I have the drivers door stripped bare at the mo, where abouts is this spare plug?? what colour is it etc.
Mine is a 3dr & the e/w motors are quite hard to find so I just bought two spare doors with them fitted. In fact once the car is sprayed I'll have the two original doors spare if you need them, drivers is duffed but the passengers is ok.
citroenzx
My Cars:

Post by citroenzx »

The spare plug i waving about inside the door and its colour is white, i cant remember the colour of the wires from it though.
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

The spare plug yo have knocking about is probably from the central locking motor (it is in chris' case) I think its for the alarm (door open switch), which isnt present on quite a few models. Your model should have a round type connector on the door pillar which has loads of wires in it, the electric window wires are yellow with either blue or red plugs on the end. The chances are that the wiring is present up to the door pillar, but the loom in the door is not, so id check this first, you would probably be better off checking with some wiring diagrams. If the wiring is there, its just a case of getting the loom out of the doors from a car with electric windows. The fitting element in place of the manual ones, is fairly easy, the window is held to the regulator with one twist type plastic clip or with an R - clip (or similar). The regulator is helf in the door with 3 nuts/bolts. Just as case of swapping everything over, and wiring it in. To remove the regulator, you need to drop the window just over half way so you can remove the glass from the regulator (half way is so you can get the clip off easily) then lift the window out of the way while you change the regulator. Can be a much easier job if theres 2 of you, else have a roll of gaffa tape ready.
citroenzx
My Cars:

Post by citroenzx »

Cheers matey, that could prove very usefull!
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

has yours (I assume your talking about your elation) not got cl??
citroenzx
My Cars:

Post by citroenzx »

nope, it has an electric sun roof but no electric windows!
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

mine has electric roof no e/w's but has cl.