Xantia 2.1 on Veggie oil

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kinrsole
My Cars:

Xantia 2.1 on Veggie oil

Post by kinrsole »

Does anyone on here run there Xantia 2.1 on veggie oil?
If so what mix/any mods needed.
I've done a search and had a look around the web but would like to hear from any one actually running theirs on vegetable oil
cheers
Kin
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

I ran my TD12 (XM) on a mixture 50/50 city diesel/Lidls rapeseed oil. No problems at all. Didn't go the whole way since veggie oil tends to solidify at low tempertures (which are quite common in Sweden).
//NiSk
shezads

Post by shezads »

Is it a bosch Injector pump? If so will be fine.
Start with 70-30 mix (diesel/veg) - and work your way up.
In warm weather mine seems fine at 90 - 10 mix (veg / disel) - 100% will work, will idle roughly for first 5 mins.
If you can fit a heat exchanger then that would improve things and you should be able to run 100% oil.
In the winter anything over 50/50 will get you rough tickover / bad starting.
If its a Lucas - forget it - it will damage the pump - some can last with a 75% 25% disel / veg mix - but anything more and you'll get failure of the pump unless the oil is heated (by two tank conversion)
kinrsole
My Cars:

Post by kinrsole »

Do I need to mix the veggie oil with the diesel outside of the tenk or just put 10 liters of diesel in at the pump then pour 10 liters of veggie when I get back home?
cheers
kin
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

You don't need to mix it, just pour it in. [^] once you have paid the tax on it of course. [:D] [:)]
ssray
My Cars:

Post by ssray »

i tried 95%veg in my bx yesterday, pulled over to soon and would not start had to resort to wd40 in filter housing, if you use too much veg pour a kettle of boiling water over your injection pump, warms it up and helps when we have a cold snap(summer?)
howiedean
My Cars:

Post by howiedean »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ssray</i>

i tried 95%veg in my bx yesterday, pulled over to soon and would not start had to resort to wd40 in filter housing, if you use too much veg pour a kettle of boiling water over your injection pump, warms it up and helps when we have a cold snap(summer?)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
During the last fuel crisis I used cooking oil amongst other things in my ZX and I must admit that it did'nt really run very well on the stuff. I now use Bio-fuel which is basically filtered used cooking oil with additives.
I use 100% biofuel in my (not the same it has a bosch pump)ZX now and it runs fine, a bit of smoke and rough running for the first 10 seconds then it runs better than diesel. As the temerature reduces I'll start to add diesel.
I'm trying to sort out an inline heater and a diesel changover switch for 100% running over the winter.
I considered buying a 2.1 Xantia myself but decided on a 1.9td (running 75% biofuel) so that I can run it on the cheaper stuff as I think the 2.1 has the lucas or equivalent pump.
Has anyone else here used Bio-fuel and sorted out the cold start issues?
<b>I Forgot to mention make sure you change the fuel filter regularly after used veg oil as it will drag rubbish up from the tank and lines and can block your filter.</b>
Regards
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

I tried sunflower veggie oil from the supermarket in my ZX about a year ago. (Bosch pump).. [^]
I used a mix of approx 50/50 Diesel and veg oil. The car performed better on it, the engine tone was deeper, tickover was smooth and very quiet, and it accelerated better at all speeds, [:D] the only disadvantage was the fact that it was slightly less economic, i.e. it returned 4-5 miles ish less per gallon..
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

The problem I find with anyone using Veggie oil, is the smell of a burning chip pan. Isn't there any thing they can add to make them smell better.
Otherwise those I know who use the mix, say as long as they stay at around 50/50 they have no problems.
kinrsole
My Cars:

Post by kinrsole »

Just checked my pump and it's a Lucus :-(
mipster
My Cars:

Post by mipster »

I've just got a 2.1TD, It's a lucas pump and the haynes manual says that all 2.1TD's are lucas pumped.
mipster
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

its a lucas epic setup but aparently it was designed to run on biodiesel too.
Andy
Wookey
(Donor 2019)
My Cars: Peugeot Expert 1.9D (Camper conversion) (2003-now)

Post by Wookey »

I ran my C15 (XUD7) on straight veg oil for a year or so, using 2 tanks and an inline heater. It worked fine. That was with a lucas pump. Lucas pumps are fine but you need to do things properly and not just chuck some veg oil in. Get a heater and a switchover solenoid and a second tank for the starting/finishing diesel. There are now loads of suppliers for the bits. Alternatively use one of the bio-diesel products. There are two. The well-known bio-diesel (made by transesterification of the veg oil in the presence of methanol), and the less-famous bio-power product 'MWVO' (modified waste vegetable oil) which I understand is simply filtered waste veg oil with some solvents/thinners added.
I haven't converted the new van yet as I haven't worked out what to do about the tanks. But fuel going up to GBP 1/litre obviously makes vegoil systems that much more cost-effective, even with the tax paid.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If you can find a scrap 2.1 td XM they have a fuel heater on the n/s end of the cylinder head, but check it first as they do tend to leak.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Regarding TD12's from XM's - they have nearly all had the fuel preheater bypasssed - the aluminum casting was porous right from the start and they gave no end of trouble. You'd do just as well by winding a fuel hose round one of the radiator hoses a number of turns - as many as you can get on it - not that this is an any way as effective as the proper electrically powered preheaters, but as an alternative to the XM preheater . . .
//NiSk