RGR Valve?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

orion1210

RGR Valve?

Post by orion1210 »

Hi,
Whats the RGR valve do on my 2.0 HDI?
Cheers
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

Is it an EGR valve?
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Exhaust Gas Recircultion
Supposedly cuts down the amount of crap your car put out of the exhaust to harmonise us with Brussles - who wot be happy till we all drive round in milk floats.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

Unfortunately, what they actually do is completely clog the intake manifold with gooey crap, and lead to a premature end to the engine. Disconnect it, remove it, blank it off and bin it.
The only positive effect they have is to (very slightly) reduce the levels of oxides of nitrogen in the exhaust. And even then, they only work at idle, or very light accelerator positions.
orion1210

Post by orion1210 »

Cheers guys,
So am i right in thinking it allows exhaust gasses into the inlet manifold or is it the other way round?
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Your thinking is correct.[:D]
ralph
My Cars:

Post by ralph »

Fastandfurryous - where would you blank it off? Both ends or just exhaust end?
After having a flick through Haynes I'd guessed that some steel plate between the exhaust manifold and the EGR valve would do the job.
I can't imagine this would confuse an XUD (there's nothing to confuse) but would it cause problems for the ECU on an HDi?
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

I've done this on an ecu controlled XUD before, but not an HDI.
I took the EGR valve out completely, welded a small circular plate over the intake manifold port, and bolted a plate over the exhaust manifold port. I left the electro-valve connected, (this is the electronically controlled valve that controlls the vaccum to the EGR valve) but blanked off its vacuum supply, so the ecu still "sees" the resistance of the electrovalve, and still thinks it's connected.
Theoretically, you could just introduce a piece of steel plate between the EGR valve and the Exhaust manifold, but of you're going that far, you may as well just have the whole lot out.
In fact, thinking about it, you could just disconnect the vacuum pipe from the EGR valve, and blank off the pipe. This would mean that the EGR valve never opens (it needs an applied vacuum to open, it's normally closed).
Whatever you decide to do, deleting the EGR from a diesel engine can only be a good idea. The tiny emissions improvement it gives is utterly insignificant compared to the benefit of keeping that car on the road for a few more years, and thus not incurring the environmental burnden of manufacturing a new car.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

best way it just to take the pipe off & shove a small ball bearing into the vac pipe.most HDi's also have a vaccum operated EGR throttle butterfly aswell to assist the EGR system,do the same thing to the pipe with that.
ralph
My Cars:

Post by ralph »

Thanks very much, gents. I'll get busy.
ralph
My Cars:

Post by ralph »

I blocked the vac pipe to disable the EGR valve.
The car used to regularly misfire slightly when accellerating hard in third gear.
I've driven it a few hundred miles and it hasn't missed a beat - a result!