zx clutch/gear probs??

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

messiah150
My Cars:

zx clutch/gear probs??

Post by messiah150 »

Hi there, i own a citroen zx 1.8 furio. last week the clutch release lever snapped so i purchased a new one along with a new release fork plastic bushes and a new thrust bearing.
I've since removed the gearbox and fitted all the parts and put it back together but now whenever i change gear in graunches and grinds and wont stay in reverse gear unless i hold it in phsyically.
before the lever snapped the clutch and gearbox worked fine, no slipping whatsoever, and even now theres no slipping, i can dump the clutch in first and it will spin, and stalls in 4th or 5th when pulling away leading me to believe the clutch is fine. i've also taken the slack out of the cable and checked this. its as if i'm not getting enough throw on the clutch to properly engage it.
any ideas folks, i havent got a clue what to do?
many thanks
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

It sounds as though the clutch is not completly disengaging. Can you shorten the cable any further?
messiah150
My Cars:

Post by messiah150 »

I've tried taking more slack out of the cable but it starts to slip then. i think the clutch itself is fine. 1 thing i did notice when putting it back together was the new thrust bearing looked slightly different. the old one looks kinda like a mushroom where as the new one looks like an upside down mushroom.
would this make a difference? i bought it from a main citroen dealer?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

On the face of it I agree with Peter BUT it wouldn't jump out of reverse! - just wouldn't go in.
So I suggest you have a good look at the gear linkage and in particular measure the 2 short links at the back of the gearbox.
jeremy
messiah150
My Cars:

Post by messiah150 »

i'll have a look at them tonight when i get in and see if theres anything wrong there. I'll let you know how i get on
cheers!!
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Messiah have you got a Haynes or other manual with the dimensions? the appropriate lengths are set out in there!
jeremy
messiah150
My Cars:

Post by messiah150 »

just had a look underneath the car. and it appears to be the main rod coming from the gear lever to the gearbox is worn. at the engine side of the rod there is a nylon bush that the ball joint sits in, when you change gear the ball comes all the way out of the bush so its not selecting the gears properly.
just hope citroen sell the bush on its own, rather than an expensive kit
cheers!!