xantia HDi cut out during driving

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

deano
My Cars:

xantia HDi cut out during driving

Post by deano »

Hi
had a phone call from the wife to say our xantia HDi cut out whilst she was driving it. Got the AA to it they could find anything wrong with it. just wondering if any one on here can shed / give any information on it.
Car details are:-
W reg 2000
Hdi 90bhp
82k miles FSH
No other problems as far as we are aware, possibly problem with one front fan not spinning at full speed when aircon is on, not sure if both should or not.
Cheers for any info
Deano
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Low pressure fuel pump. Failure usually 60 - 80k miles, sudden cut out without warning, no fault codes. GSF do them - and I think they do just the pump part now as well. Not cheap though, and they're in the top of the tank, don't know if you can get at it from the top or if you need to drop the tank. Apparently you usually find small brass / copper particles in the bottom of the fuel filter as well if it's going / gone.
deano
My Cars:

Post by deano »

WOW
3 mintues and what sound like a bang on answer, so do i need a low pressure fuel pump or is a low pressure fuel pump the problem :)
Cheers
Deano
deano
My Cars:

Post by deano »

would it be one of these?
N18368 FUEL PUMP-ELECTR.IN TANK XANTIA (INC SENDER UNIT) 85.00 Add
N18369 FUEL PUMP+SEND-IN TANK XANTIA ALL HDi MODELS 135.00 Add
N18375 FUEL LIFT PUMP(IN TANK) XAN HDI 62.50 Add
cheers
Deano
howiedean
My Cars:

Post by howiedean »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by deano</i>

would it be one of these?
N18368 FUEL PUMP-ELECTR.IN TANK XANTIA (INC SENDER UNIT) 85.00 Add
N18369 FUEL PUMP+SEND-IN TANK XANTIA ALL HDi MODELS 135.00 Add
N18375 FUEL LIFT PUMP(IN TANK) XAN HDI 62.50 Add
cheers
Deano
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Before you buy, can you hear the pump running when you turn on the ignition (under the right hand rear seat)?
I'd also double check, take one of the connectors off at the fuel filter and switch on the ignition to see if fuel is pumping out.
I could be wrong but I think you would need the <b>N18375 FUEL LIFT PUMP(IN TANK) XAN HDI 62.50 Add .</b>as you have the sender unit already.
Regards
deano
My Cars:

Post by deano »

Hi,
ok i do some checks after tea :)
cheers
deano
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by RichardW</i>

don't know if you can get at it from the top or if you need to drop the tank.
you can acsess it from under the back seat.
deano
My Cars:

Post by deano »

Hi
pretty sure i can hear ther pump running, hums for about 10 seconds or so, not been able to check at the fuel filter yet, to dark now i'm back in. There is a large black circular cover i assume this is the location that you are refering to wheeler - cheers. My Dads a mechanic but loathes working on my xantia :( never worked with citroens.
Thanks for the info guys.
Deano
howiedean
My Cars:

Post by howiedean »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by deano</i>

Hi
pretty sure i can hear ther pump running, hums for about 10 seconds or so, not been able to check at the fuel filter yet, to dark now i'm back in. There is a large black circular cover i assume this is the location that you are refering to wheeler - cheers. My Dads a mechanic but loathes working on my xantia :( never worked with citroens.
Thanks for the info guys.
Deano
I remember recently a thread recently where there was a problem similar to yours and it turned out to be a pressure regulator on the injection system. Do a search and it might give you some ideas.
Regards
user_3150
New User
My Cars: This is a dummy account added to fix some orphan posts.

Post by user_3150 »

My fuel pump is bloody noisy somtimes but it works fine though. I thought I'd would add this to the discussion to see if anyone else has this problem. Handy to know it's accessable from under the seat.
pikecrazy
My Cars:

Post by pikecrazy »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Alec</i>

My fuel pump is bloody noisy somtimes but it works fine though. I thought I'd would add this to the discussion to see if anyone else has this problem. Handy to know it's accessable from under the seat.
Mine sounds the same , vibrating....cured it by wedging a rag in the access hole [:0]
user_3150
New User
My Cars: This is a dummy account added to fix some orphan posts.

Post by user_3150 »

Cheers for that at least it's an easy job Phew.
guillermo
My Cars:

Post by guillermo »

Dear all,
I had a similar problem, I thought I had solved it cleaning all conectors and adjusting rpm sensor bolt.
After 10.000 km without problem, the high pressure pump started leaking. I took the car to a Bosch service and they told me that the ECU had recorded many incidents of too high fuel pressure. When it happens, the ECU stops the engine to prevent damage due to overpressure.Then once the pressure come to normal, the car can be started again. The problem is that this short times of over pressure stress the seal and then the pump start to leakage. No always it is possible to repair the pump, and anyway it is very expensive.
So my recomendation, if can give some, is to have the car (ECU) scanned to find out if the problem is the too high fuel pressure.
The main cause to this is the fail of the pressure regulator of the pump, which even though is also expensive, can be change with the pump in the car.
Regards from Argentina
Guillermo
deano
My Cars:

Post by deano »

Hi,
sorry for not replying for ages just have been really busy :( Car is due a service in about 3000miles so will get the people at the garadge to have a good look over the car, see what they can find.
Thanks for all the replys and info, it has only done it one more time since i posted and seems to only do it when the fuel needle is at less than a quater of a tank left.
Cheers
deano
citroencharlie

Post by citroencharlie »

Hi
this happened to me on 2 seperate occasions;first time it was a faulty throttle sensor, second i had used bio diesel which clogged filter meaning it revved high between gears and cut out engine