Xantia cat/lower arm bushes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

splat

Xantia cat/lower arm bushes

Post by splat »

My exhaust ('97 Xantia TD) has yet again rotted through at both ends of the cat. I've just called the official MOT helpline and they tell me that no diesel car is required to have a cat to pass the MOT - it only has to pass the smoke test. I can only just believe this, but there you go.
Does anyone know if it is possible to buy a 'cat free' pipe from anywhere?
My front lower arm rear bushes are worn out and I'm wondering how long it should take a garage to replace them? I considered having a go at this myself but Haynes claims a special Citroen tool is needed to separate the lower balljoint. Any thoughts on how long the job takes or whether the special tool is really required?
Thanks!
broomie
My Cars:

Post by broomie »

Cat - I've read in these columns that folks use what's good in the normal system and get Exhaust shop to weld in missing section of straight pipe.
As for lower arm bushes -Thsi may a job for a press, never mind special tools.
PaulB
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I can only just believe this, but there you go.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Its true, here you go-
http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_740.htm
The same test applies to current diesels as to all post 1979 diesels. Actually, a petrol car doesn't need a cat either, but its impossible for them to meet the much stricter emission test that petrol cars have without one, whereas the diesel test is a lot slacker so you don't need the cat to pass.
You can get the old bushes out fairly easily by cutting the rubber away, welding round the inside of the metal remains with a mig to heat them and give you something to whack against, and thumping them out with a hammer-getting new ones in may well be a bit more of a struggle but most engineers will press them in for you for the price of a couple of beers!!!
Regarding the balljoint, you shouldn't need anything other than a normal balljoint splitter to seperate the joint for arm removal- I think by "special tool" you are referring to the 4 pronged thing used to replace the joint into the hub as opposed to just seperating it.
splat

Post by splat »

Thanks, I'd misread Haynes. After a second look it's clear that the special tool is only needed to remove the lower balljoint.
Does anyone have any idea how long it should take a properly equipped garage to do the lower arm bushes?
splat

Post by splat »

It turns out that the exhaust front pipe from the pre-97 cars is exactly the same as the one for 97 onwards except that it doesn't have the cat. £90 fitted at my local ATS as opposed to £236 for the one with the cat.
I have this feeling I've got one over on somebody but I'm not exactly sure who.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

I made that same discovery when my '97 Xantia TD needed a new front pipe, £30 in parts instead of £130.
splat

Post by splat »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Kowalski</i>

I made that same discovery when my '97 Xantia TD needed a new front pipe, £30 in parts instead of £130.
I spent ages trying to find someone to weld a bit of pipe in place of the cat. I wish you'd told me that a week ago!
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

The book they use in kwikFit gives all the dimensions, including internal/external diameters of every pipe they can get and its listed by car model and year.
It depends on the people who have the franchise wether they will let you look at it or not, though!!
When I needed a middle section for the BX neither GSF or the other firm list it,so I went to KwikFit the first one I went into (Billet road, Walthamstow) didn't have it, couldn't get it, whats a BX,no 17RD listed, etc, etc.....I went into another one (Leyton high road, run by and apparently employing an entire asian family....) and they were a lot more helpful, got the book out, let me show them exactly what I wanted, and had it in two hours later!!!
I know which one I will be using next time............
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

I've got an exhaust catalog in pdf format somewhere or other, I shall have to dig that one out.
splat

Post by splat »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Kowalski</i>

I've got an exhaust catalog in pdf format somewhere or other, I shall have to dig that one out.
I'd love a copy of that if it turns up!