Xantia Spheres question

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jaguar306
My Cars:

Xantia Spheres question

Post by jaguar306 »

I have a <b>Xantia 1999 V Reg HDI 90 SX</b>
I am going to change the rear spheres as the ride is very hard, I know everyone says the fronts go first but the fronts have a date on them of March 2004. Given that and the fact the front feels okay, also that the accumulator is hardley ticking. Should I only change the rear two or rear three spheres?
I take it as I only have a total of 6 spheres that my xantia is not the hydoactive one?
John
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I think only VSX / Exclusive were fitted with hydractive, so no yours won't be. If by some odditiy it is, there will be a button just in front of the height selector next to the handbrake.
There's no particular need to change the anti-sink sphere unless you have reason to believe it's flat. The usual symptoms are the rear sinking soon after you start the engine. You might of course decide to do it all in one hit, rather than have to come back later, given that they are all the same age. If you do go for the anti-sink sphere, then don't forget to undo the pipe going into the bottom of the sphere FIRST! You will also need a pipe seal (3.5mm I think) which doesn't come with the sphere.
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

Good point by Richard as if you twirl off the anti sink sphere you wind up the supply pipe and rupture it. The nut is 9mm and you need a good quality spanner as they soon round off, then you have a problem!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JohnT</i>

... The nut is 9mm and you need a good quality spanner as they soon round off, then you have a problem!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Naaa John -
3.5mm pipes comes with an 8mm union nut.
Always use the newer type "Round Corner" spanners 6-edged.
The old type "Universal" 12-edge spanners are crap for the pipe unions.
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

I am corrected. Have taken note!