BX cambelt questions

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Rob Marshall

BX cambelt questions

Post by Rob Marshall »

Hello gents!!
May I ask your advice? The cambelt was changed on my TD BX in January 2003, at 68,000 miles. It also had the tensioners changed.
The car is now up to 105,000; and I was thinking that it would be wise to think about getting the belt changed this summer. What do you think?
Also, shall I change the tensioners to? and if so, how many are there (am I right in thinking there are 2?)
Also, I was thinking of also doing the water pump; would there be clearance, as access looks to be fairly tight!
Thanks!!!!
broomie
My Cars:

Post by broomie »

Worth changing the belt every 30,000 I think. At that mileage Its worth changing the Water pump too as you say.
I would have though the tensioners havig being changed at 68,000 can wait another 30,000.
As for access I can't remember as I got someone to do this for me!
PaulB
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

How long is a piece of string??!!
I would be thinking about doing the belt after 40000 or so, but not the tensioners. There are 2-one is the tensioning pulley and one is a jockey pulley, but they can go on for years- mine have never been done in over 200000 miles- I gave them a feel and a spin by hand at the last 2 belt changes and they were fine, so I left them alone until the next change comes up.
The water pump is cheap so its definately worth doing now if it hasn't been done before- there is access but you need to get the cambelt and covers off, so it all has to be done at the same time anyway.
Its a relatively easy job, and access is no better or worse than most other cars-i.e. you always wish there was just a bit more room.....
Rob Marshall

Post by Rob Marshall »

Is there enough room to do the water pump??
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

Yes, it can be done, go in through the wheel arch. This is the best way, out and on the floor. Takes a bit longer though!
BX-Basis
My Cars:

Post by BX-Basis »

The cambelt must be replaced every 50.000 miles. You should replace both tensioners each time you replace the cambelt. Even if they seem to be ok, they can fail 5.000 miles after the new cambelt has been installed. Believe me, I saw this happening on several engines ! On a XUD engine this means at least a broken camshaft...
Changing the water pump is not really necessary unless it is leaking or its bearing makes noise. They seem to be very good on the XUD engines. Mine was installed 190.000 miles ago and is still ok.
(BTW: If you have a HDi you will most likely have to change the water pump even before the cambelt has to be changed at 100.000 miles.)
Changing the cambelt and tensioners is not really hard to do (at least compared to a HDi...). I did it in about 3 hours last week, including the water pump.
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

I would prefer to change the water pump at the same time as the belt and change the tensioner and idler at 100,000 miles. So in other words, change the lot and forget the idler and tensioner for a long time. I changed mine at 143,000 as the pump was leaking and the idler and tentioner had a small amount of play in the bearings. I will change the belt and pump again at 180,000 but not the other two.
Rob Marshall

Post by Rob Marshall »

The tensioners were changed at 68,000 at the end of 2002. This was because I had the engine out of the car at a garage to do the Octopus, so I reasoned they may as well do the belt and tensioners to. I reasoned the water pump should be OK 'till 100K; which I think was possibly stretching it, hence my concerns about changing it this time.
Anyway, so is just doing the belt and water pump reasonable? The belt will be done again at 150,000. I was wondering (hoping?) that I would have not have to change the tensioners this time, as they are quite expensive and they have only done 40K.
Will be getting the bits ordered soon! Also, is the water pump different between the D & TD?
Thanks again!
Rob
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Its the same pump for n/a and turbo, and if its not leaking its likely to be o.k. but bearing in mind its done over 100000 its probably worth changing as its less than 20 quid for a new one.
If the tensioners have only done 37000 miles they won't need doing again for some time so I'd leave them alone- just feel them for any roughness in the bearings when the belts off.