Activa Information and Queries

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

handyman
My Cars:

Activa Information and Queries

Post by handyman »

I own an Activa and it is now time to put on new rubber. After telephoning a number of tyre dealers, I have a quandary!
The previous owner/idiot had fitted 205/50R15V tyres. The correct size should be 205/60R15W but all the dealers I speak to offer either 'H' or 'V' rated tyres and seem to disregard the need for a tyre with this marking code, which I assume is for high cornering loads due to the suspension system. Anybody know different?
The car has recently had a major service which included cambelt, idler gear and waterpump changes. The oil temperature gauge now seems to read differently. Previously, it would struggle to show a temperature above 60-70degC. Now, the car seems fine except when under hard acceleration, when the gauge rises to 90degC and slightly beyond. It returns to normal, below 90degC readily, both cooling fans working in both high & low speed. What should the normal running temperature be for the engine?
I wonder if the oil quality could be suspect? The garage that undertook the servicing work assures me that they only use 10W40 Semi-synthetic oils, but could not tell me the make! Should I go back to a more reliable brand like Castrol? A number of review on the Internet rated this above most others for use with turbo engines.
Last query! Did Citroen ever import any RHD Activa V6 into the UK? If yes, does anybody have any details or info?
Thanks, in anticipation of the replies!
Rostami
My Cars:

Post by Rostami »

Please also consider the Activa dedicated pages and Forum at: http://www.activanet.co.uk/
For tyres the Bridgestone RE720 seem to be consensual. There is a thread in the above mentioned forum about this.
Regarding oil, my Avtiva, an HDi is just like yours...with moderate engine speeds its around 90C but at high loads jumps a little higher. Also notice that as the oil ages you will get higher temperature readings. I use Total Quartz 9000, 5w40 (I think)...
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by handyman</i>

The car has recently had a major service which included cambelt, idler gear and waterpump changes. The oil temperature gauge now seems to read differently. Previously, it would struggle to show a temperature above 60-70degC. Now, the car seems fine except when under hard acceleration, when the gauge rises to 90degC and slightly beyond. It returns to normal, below 90degC readily, both cooling fans working in both high & low speed. What should the normal running temperature be for the engine?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I previously had an estate with the same engine. It normally ran between 80 and 90 deg. The only time it ever dropped below 80 after warming up was when the thermostat was removed. Then the temperature would rise under acceleration and drop back down when cruising. It could be your thermostat is not closing properly. Or it could be the gauge is not all that accurate.
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Hi Homer, it is not the coolant temperature gauge that I am looking at for variation but the oil temperature gauge. Coolant temperature seems to be fairly constant, it is just the fluctuations in oil temperature that bother me as this may point to an imminent failure of something major - the turbo!
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Well, under hard acceleration, the turbo will be spinning fast, and heating up rapidly, and this heat will soak into the oil, and raise the oil temperature in the sump ( as this is where it will drain into if it's like the TD's ).
I personally wouldn't be overly concerned, unless you were loosing oil, or getting blue / white smoke from the exhaust.
basil40

Post by basil40 »

Hi there, I've got an Activa Turobo petrol. Needless to say, the coolant temp should be around about 80c. The oil temp is more indicative - diesels can only rev to low speeds compared to petrols - I mean 4000 rpm and you'll be shaking to bits and the noise will be unbearable. I would hazard a guess, depending on the ambient outside temp thatthe running temp will be around 60c to 70 c. But this all depends on what type of oil you put in it. Fully synth is the answer everytime!!! then the response of the temp to engine will be much quicker, the normal running temp might also increase, but you'll be getting more protection. It's normal for the engine temp to increase under loading - this is a GOOD sign. I don't know whether or not you have a turbo intercooler, in which case the condition of that could have more of an impact than oil temperature.
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Basil, your info sounds like what I needed to know. I am going to do an oil change and will use fully-synth this time.
I have noticed that the flexible tube connected to the inercooler is not well fitted just under the filter box. Why this was disturbed during the service I do not know! But I have noticed other items have been disturbed and not been refitted properly. Could this be the source of my rise in oil temperature?
Coolant temperature seems to be around 80C which I assume is normal. My CX normally runs at about 78C but that has a digital read out and might be more accurate. Ha!
Thanks for you help.
basil40

Post by basil40 »

be careful when moving up grade from semi to fully synth. I don't know what mileage your engine has covered and at what pace, but seriously, if its done a lot of miles, then opt for continuing with the semi synth. However mid mile range use a flushing compound first. Then add the fully synth. Halfords were doing a great deal on fully synth - buy one get one free. You were effectively buying 5lts of FS for £15.00! look out for that, it's likely to come around again. Don't do mobil 1 - waste of money. look on ebay. Intercooler is the key to longevity of the turbo - ensure that as much cool air can get to it. I've just bought a GSA - see should I buy a gsa in this forum. Great to see you've got a CX. Don't forget, there will be an instrument calibration error for your CX of at least 10%!!