2.1td xantia - thermostat and cooling

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stevecritchlow
My Cars:

2.1td xantia - thermostat and cooling

Post by stevecritchlow »

After some strangly high temperatures on my recently aquired 1997 Xantia 2.1td, I decided to remove and test the thermostat. To my surprise I found that the housing contained just empty space - no thermostat!
Despite some worry about why the previous owner might have removed the thermostat, I decide I should get one ASAP and see how the car behaved. My local car parts shop got me one, but it was too small to seal, so I went to the Citroen dealer who got me one (had to wait two days though), and to my dismay it was too big and won't fit.
The part number is 1338.71, and it measures about 67mm diamter. I have spoke to the agent this morning and they have checkd the part number as being correct against my chasis number. I housing actually takes a thermostat of about 57mm diamter.
at least I now know why the previous owner didn't replace the thermostat, he could get one! But can anyone help me.
Firstly, what are the likely conseqences to the car of continuing with no thermostat in (the car has air con and hence a bitron sensor etc)? Secondly does this problem sound familiar to anyone? is there anyone out there who can suggest why my car has a different housing and from where I can get a suitable 57mm diamter thermostat.
Long shot I know.....heres hoping
Steve
stevecritchlow
My Cars:

Post by stevecritchlow »

just being reading back posts on this subject, and have found a confusing message about the housing being around the back of the block on the 2.1TD. Don't think thats the case on mine. The housing is below the fuel filter and has the guage sensor and bitron sensor on top
Or can anyone with experience tell me differently?
Steve
broomie
My Cars:

Post by broomie »

No Thermostat is nealry always a result of a cooling problem. The old one may have not been opening fully. My Old BX Turbo D went down this route when it satrted to overheat - I removed the Thermo to see if it was any better (not sticking) but it still boiled over.
Eventually wiser folks that I - who I passed teh car onto replaced witha good thermo and a new Rad sensor - they beleived it was the rad sensor and it was causing a "hot spot" on the cyclinder head which gave teha ppearenace of dreaded HG bubbles.
SO get a new thermo - change the sensors in any case and check fans are coming on.
paul B
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

According to the parts site, the stat is part of the water pump inlet housing on the 2.1 TD:
Boy, I bet that's fun to change! The outlet from the head is shown as nearly the same as the 1.9, but without the stat. There are 2 slightly different arrangements shown, but it is not clear why they changed, or if both were used interchangeably, depending on which water pump or something.
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

It is on all 2.1's at the back of the engine, ive chenged 2 now and its alot easyer out of the car (the first one was an engine i rebuilt).
Andy
stevecritchlow
My Cars:

Post by stevecritchlow »

Thanks everyone for the responses, although being told that the thermostat is hidden away isn't the best.
For Richard W, thanks for the diagram, is the site you refer to availble for me to look at?
Steve
stevecritchlow
My Cars:

Post by stevecritchlow »

OK, so it appears that I've be looking in the redundant housing, and the thermostat for the 2.1TD is actaully hidden away in the away in the water pump.
My original plan was to change the stat to see if it cured my heating problems, and then come on to sensors etc later if the stat didn't cure it. But seeing as changing the stat is going to be a real pain, can anyone offer ideas of what they think is my problem?
the car generally maintains its temperature but occasionally gets very hot. The other day on a drive the car nearly got to 100 degrees, and that was on decent open drive. Later on, without stopping, the temperature came back down to 85 degrees and stayed there until I got home. I wondered if the stat was sticking but any other ideas would be welcome.
I have a new motto.
Xantia 2.1TD. Drive it and love it. Repair it and hate it.
Steve
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

What about something simple like a blocked radiator? radiator has the thin tubes forming the element and 2 tanks, one at each end. originally the tanks were top and bottom and so all sludge colected harmlessly in the bottom one but in the interests of greater efficiency (and a low bonnet line) the things were turned on their sides - so that now the sludge collects in the bottom tubes. You can loose a few harmlessly unless you tow a caravan up the alps but eventually it catches up and becomes marginal - ie ok for ordinary use but a bit more stress - following wind, hot day or similar produces problems.
Try getting the car warm and feeling all over it for cold patches. You may be able to clear it by flushing, probably better with he rad removed from the car. They can take hours before the water runs clean!
jeremy
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I can confirm that the thermostat is in the return pipe connection at the o/s rear of the engine, or at least it is on my XM, they are not to difficult to change once you have done the first one! you have to do a lot by feel. I have had two of these thermostats fail but the have failed open, running to cool, the problem is far more likely to be your radiator.