zx td air / fuel leak

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

shezads

zx td air / fuel leak

Post by shezads »

I've got a slight leak near the base of the fuel filter canister. Towards the back there is a plastic star shaped white dial (see images). Fuel seems to leak from here when I pump the fuel primer. I have tried to turn this dial - does not seem to tighten up - not sure - as it is hard to reach and turn. Does anyone know what it is? What if I jam it shut by squirting with some glue (dries to a plastic)and jam any cracks that may be there. Anyone know whether this will screw anything up?
http://img306.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscn18208it.jpg
You can see the dial towards the rear of the canistor.
http://img87.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscn18224mf.jpg
A close up of the dial.
http://img9.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscn18232be.jpg
Side shot
click on url for larger image.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I think you will find that it is the water drain plug, the thread has probably broken, if you remove it (it should unscrew)you may be able to put some PTFE tape around it and screw it in again.
shezads

Post by shezads »

Thanks for the prompt reply, I'll try that. - So jamming with glue not a good idea...
mpr1956
My Cars:

Post by mpr1956 »

Hi shezads, I have just had a problem with this damn thing, Inside there is a small thermostat that, when the engine and/or the fuel is cold, lets the fuel circulate around the channels in the top of the alloy thermostat housing before it goes into the filter housing .. when the engine warms up the fuel goes straight into the filter.. Anyway, this "dial" is held in with a spring washer and has a rubber O ring seal just inside, so turning it has no effect. I just got a replacement housing from a scrappy that luckily didn't leak. It may be that you can obtain a replacement o ring or even the fuel thermostat from citroen at a reasonable price. Once the fuel housing is off, the spring washer can be removed (gouged out!) and the "white thing" pulled out and the O ring changed.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Sorry about that, its obviously one I havn't come across.
shezads

Post by shezads »

Ok, I'll see if I can replace the ring - if not off to a scrappy. On colder mornings the engine seemd to miss a litlle when idiling - not the glow plugs as these were changed last year, so it seems that the leak in either the seal or the white dial are introducing air into the system.
shezads

Post by shezads »

Ok, update.....
Bought another fuel filter assembly (top half - whole canister) from the scrappy for £8 - plus some hoses and clips and things. The O ring on the bottom of the fuel filter assembly seemed fine - so fitted that back on. - all ok now - runs / starts well no leaks.