Cycle fitting?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

peter mawer
My Cars:

Cycle fitting?

Post by peter mawer »

Does anybody have any information on the possibility of getting a cycle rack/ roof rack that will take 4 bikes and fit a T reg xantia saloon
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

You can eitehr use a paddy hopkirk roof rack from Halfrauds with cycle mount fittings - I expect the whole shebang will cost just shy of £100 for the bars and all the fittings (new) - or if you have a towbar fitted use one of the generic bolt on affairs which fit to the tow bracket between teh ball & car (I use one which is branded Shimano - but doubt very much it is - ebay for £30).
Beware of course your weight limits - roof - 75-80KG and towbar 75kg - four bikes may go past this limit.
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

I'd prefer to put bikes on a rack on either the rear hatch or a towbar mount. Is the hatch on a Xant plastic like a BX?
cornishbx16v

Post by cornishbx16v »

the only problem i have with my tow ball mount rack is that if i should need to get in the boot i need to take the rack and bikes off as the boot catches on it about a foot up!!!
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

I'm following this thread with interest as I plan to get a cycle carrier for the Xantia (only need two bike capacity).
The Xantia is a 'plastic' hatch like so many other Cits. For this reason I have stayed away from the 'sit on hatchback' type of mounts.
Additionally I want to fit a towbar so I've been looking at towbar mounted carriers. Some appear cheap and fit onto the ball (and need strapping to the tailgate) whilst others fit into a holder placed between the towball and the towbar. I have even seen adverts for some towbar mounted carriers that hinge (to pull forward) to miss the tailgate opening.
If anyone else has any experiences or comments I'd like to hear them.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

I've used both types, and had no problems with one on the plastic hatch, but I prefer to have them on the roof as they seem a bit more secure up there!!One's never fallen off the back but they never seem to be as secure as you want them to be.....
The downside of the roof carrier is that you need to put your roofbars on, then the cycle carriers, which takes a while.
Have a look in toys'r'us for carriers- I got two roof top ones for I think £15-£20 each, a bit heavy but pretty secure!!