Xantia rear sphere change- tool needed..

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ConLaw

Xantia rear sphere change- tool needed..

Post by ConLaw »

Hi Guys,
Anyone in the Watford Herts area got a hefty chain-wrench or sphere removal tool they would be prepared to lend out for a couple of hours, a couple of cans of your preferred poison if there's anyone able to help..
Regards
Con L.
07910 081351
Mosser
My Cars:

Post by Mosser »

A chisel and hammer will probably do just as good a job on the more stubborn ones, i have used that method on loads of spheres in the past without faliure!
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

yes but thats not very suttle now is it
regards malcolm
ConLaw

Post by ConLaw »

hmmm.. I have a 5lb hammer & bolster and considered that and thought it parhaps a wee bit violent, was worried about pucturing the sphere and still not being able to remove it- worst case scenario in that I would have merely rendered the car undrivable... is there a risk of that?
ConLaw

Post by ConLaw »

If I were to use the hammer/chisel method is it better to 'crack' the sphere with the system still pressurised, or to depressure it first? the car is a 96 VSX Hydractive car
mpr1956
My Cars:

Post by mpr1956 »

The hammer and chisel approach does work... but you'll be under the car with the suspension on high and the rear wheels on the ground to hold the cylinders in place while you "crack" the sphere loose.. so you will in real danger under there while you're hammering away. Make sure that the car cannot sink on to you while you are working.. i.e. blocks or stands for all four corners...
ConLaw

Post by ConLaw »

Ok, Thanks for the advice, I think I will try the hammer & chisel approach; I will support the car properly, and I've marked the sphere to cylinder joint with tippex so as to see if its moving, once I've shifted it say 20mm would that be the time to lower it and depressurise the system, then spin the sphere off by hand? and have I missed anything there?
p20

Post by p20 »

I borrowed my mates 'sphere' tool. It worked a treat. 10mm threaded bar bent into a U shape, then threaded through a square 2ft bar.
ConLaw

Post by ConLaw »

JOB DONE!!!!! [8D][8D][8D][:D]
Thanks for advice folks, now Quasimodo (The hatchback of Notre-Dame>>>) is riding like a magic carpet again...
Regards
Con