xantia lights etc. not working!!! UPDATE

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

eskimoigloo
My Cars:

xantia lights etc. not working!!! UPDATE

Post by eskimoigloo »

Hi, just got a Xantia HDI (yr. 2000) off ebay... got it home, and all of the lights have stopped working including dash illuminations. Also the passenger electric mirror and the outside temp sensor aren't working (linked?). I have checked all fuses (I think). Help needed Urgently!
Cheers, Chris.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

I once test drove a Xantia and thought it's lights weren't working. It turns out that Citroen changed the design of the stalk that controls the headlights, the switch that used to control the headlights became the switch for the foglights (front and rear) and a new twisty bit was added to the end of the stalk to control the headlights. My two Xantias have different stalks, the '97 has the newer stalk, the '94 the older one, I know this is terribly obvious, but does this new Xantia have the new type of stalk and are you expecting the older one?
Otherwise, you're going to have to get the multi-meter out and trace your way through the wiring. Follow the wiring diagram in Haynes (seems to be accurate but take with the usual pinch of salt) check the earths, switches and relays. Both headlights not working would point to a fault before the headlight relays under the bonnet (there are two) check for voltage at the fusebox inside the car.
eskimoigloo
My Cars:

Post by eskimoigloo »

Hi, yes it has 2 twisty bits on the stalk, one does fogs, and one does lights. There appears to be no voltage at fuses in dashboard or under bonnet...
eskimoigloo
My Cars:

Post by eskimoigloo »

There is 5.8v on 2 wires on the big plug on the back of the switch, and on 1 of the wires on the smaller plug on the back of the switch... i assume there should be more? If not, is there anything after the switch in the lighting circuit?
Chris.
eskimoigloo
My Cars:

Post by eskimoigloo »

Ok, now multimeter is working, I have 2 sources of 9.8V on the big plug, and 1 source of 9.8V on the small one. If I take a feed direct from battery to a fuse in either of the boxes the lights come on... so I need to know, is what I am getting at the switch plug correct? If so, what is there between the switch and the fuse box, also which fuse box is first in line (in-car or under bonnet). Have tried another switch off my ZX, so I know it's not the switch.
Cheers, Chris
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Have you got a voltage going to the light switch on the steering column?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Getting 9.8 volts is a classic sign of a failed circuit. Either there is a massive resistance somewhere or a complete breakdown and what you are getting is a curent that has passed through another component and is really a leakage current.
I would expect a control voltage for a relay to be full car voltage and comparable to that of the battery (ie about 12.5 volts). My guess is that if you connect a bulb between your 9.8 volts and earth the voltage will drop to nothing.
The only caveat is if this is computer controlled but even then I think the voltage would be car voltage.
jeremy